• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Riftmon -New game plus and more

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2023
    So this New Game plus idea really inspired me. totally not copied from SuperSpyroDragon64
    my game Riftmon (pokemon like monsters), already has rifts/portals:
    you summon them to battle using amulets, and they appear out of a rift.
    so why not a portal to the past, as a New Game plus?

Here's what I have so far.

You start the game, and get an egg (a starter) based on the starting town you chose.
    since you just turned 14, you start your journey. you must get strong and defeat the village's chief in battle, to be accepted into the tribe. you leave the village, traveling around, fighting wild Riftmon and other teenagers like you.

Every significant town has a "guardian", a strong mythical Riftmon.
    They live in mountain tops and other remote locations, and town people habitually have races/challenges to reach them. the first five people to reach the mythical, team up , and fight it on a 5 vs 1 battle. if they win, the mythical lends them its power, as an amulet shard. (allows you to summon it once)
    It all feels very peaceful and light hearted, until you reach an evil mythical. it's a "jump up" from the trainers/wild riftmon around, way too strong for you. As your life is in danger, your Riftmon open a rift to the past. this event opens up the new game plus option.

In new game plus, you still have your bag items, money & amulets you've earned (all your riftmon).
    however the evil mythical laid a curse on them. it weakens their attack, def, and speed as they enter battle.
    this status effect cannot be healed by items, but it slowly wears off. (so the game is still challenging)
    you end up with a super-strong party, as you're over leveled and the party is all evolved. the curse also makes them level up fast.
    This time, when you reach the evil mythical, you defeat it. then you can advance in the plot- the first time you only played a third of the game. The plot gets more serious, and you set out to defeat the evil mythicals & stop their plan to turn Riftmon against humans and start a war.

I like how this explains why the player is stronger than everyone around them, and why they're chosen to defeat the "bad guys".
    It seems to open many possibilities for the player, too.
    Riftmon have rare forms, and can be bred to get higher & higher stats. so players can collect rare forms and breed eggs, or get "the perfect" Riftmon with good moveset and ability, and basically.. create the party of your dream, and play with it from game start to finish.

my game is planned to have fan-made content too, like new regions with their own dex. so maybe the rift-to-the-past can pass through one of these worlds, so you can get fan-made Riftmon & use them in game (so they're not locked in their own region).

so.. would love to hear your opinion. ^^
    and how similar to pokemon does this game lsound, out of curiosity?
    I forgot to mention the starters have branched evolution, with 7-8 possible final stages.
    you can get almost all Riftmon by hatching eggs & evolving [some are released during events / made by fans]
    and there's no "catching" Riftmon. the way to get evolved Riftmon is kinda like pokemon XD. you defeat the "bad guys", they're a group of sorcerers, who can take wild Riftmon's amulet by force. they use them for crime, so when you defeat them, you take their amulets.

also I'm recruiting. kinda. need to get a demo done

Last edited:
    Back