• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Episode 118

Sloxy

Mon Amour
Years
  • So, we are apperentally going to Kanto again, or since the Malai Garden is based off of Johto it might show some sort of connection between the two regions, and then just show the gym. If the first option comes to be true then since it's a ninja we are dealing with here, could it be possible we see a return of Koga in the Fuchsia Gym? Would be interesting for them to have a rematch, but I don't see how his sixth gym is anything to bring up again so hopes aren't really that high.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    ( I think you mean episode 118? If so I can change the title for you or you can change it yourself haha )

Well, in the games there is a Kantonian Gym with a "Gym Leader" there named Ryuki. I believe they're just debuting him in this next episode and not actually going to Kanto haha. Still, sounds like it's going to be an interesting episode I'm looking forward to it.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Its a town modeled after the Johto region and Ryuki runs a Dragon Type "Gym" there that will debut next week. The dialogue in Episode 117, for some strange reason, gave me Naruto vibes. Meltan showed how OP Steel types can be though since TR is at a clear disadvantage with Poison having no effect and Mimikyu's Fairy typing leaving it wide open to x2 Flash Cannon. After 118, it looks like Sophocles might be getting his Z-Ring(finally) while 120 appears to be a Lana Episode. Based on what its titled, I think she might be "fishing" or catching her third Pokemon.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • ( I think you mean episode 118? If so I can change the title for you or you can change it yourself haha )

Well, in the games there is a Kantonian Gym with a "Gym Leader" there named Ryuki. I believe they're just debuting him in this next episode and not actually going to Kanto haha. Still, sounds like it's going to be an interesting episode I'm looking forward to it.

Well in the end of episode 117 is where it was announced that they will be going to a kanto gym

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    The next episode is about a dragon gym so yeah since we want to discuss that ill change the title so when it airs we can discuss the episode further here :)

Otherwise according to the title we should be discussing what happened in the actual episode haha.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Now that the episode has aired anyone have thoughts?

Very impressed with Rowlet learning Brave Bird! Cant wait to see how its utilized later and seeing Meltan in battles is an experience haha. Maybe by the league ill like the little bugger more but its still oh my ehhhh list.

Also XYZ being the song played got quite a bit of a laugh from me ngl.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • I was really confused at the fact the way the gym looked, I mean decorated with Unova pokemon for a Kanto gym? Glad Ash called them out for that.

Kudos to them for creating a Johto gym instead of a Kanto one...

I didn't quite like the way they handled the whole thing as a "game", but I guess that's just me although I will admit, Ash wrecking that course was hilarious and the facial expressions still keep their praise.

Ash actually knew the pokemon he was facing (Thank Arceus)

As always Rowlett falling asleep is pretty funny,

I just wanted to see a proper gym battle, yet it gets interrupted by meltan, and there is no actual "gym" feeling to it. Just some kid who is attempting to put on a show without any gym leader traits except that it's obvious he is a dragon type trainer. I guess it reminded me of that one non-official gym that a guy ran back in Kanto. And yeah, we aren't even going to speak of that horrific badge...

The use of soundtracks was strange for me, first the champion theme from sun and moon and then of course the masterpiece of XYZ intro like you stated, but I guess it fit the mood of the fight even though it didn't fit the overall theme of the Gym. The Gym "Leader" really didn't make sense, and I found his singing and screaming annoying especially when its going through the mic making it worse. Even more than Jimmy from XYZ.

All in all, there were some flaws I think but it was pretty enjoyable in the end. Not like I had high expectations anyway, one thing to highlight is the satire that is played on the gym. The name it holds is "Gym of Kanto" yet ironically nothing in regards to Kanto has to do with it, all of it is from foreign regions.

7/10 too much Kanto

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • In a nut shell: Too much Kanto pandering. Furthermore, the island the Gym is on is based off the Johto region and yet the Gym tries to portray itself as a "Kanto" Gym. Guess Clair would yield her wrath if she found out someone else was trying to steal her Dragon Gym thunder. To make matters even more pathetic, none of the Dragon Types originate from Kanto/Johto but from other regions altogether. Just waiting for Meltan to evolve and overshadow Torracat/Incineroar as Ash's strongest Pokemon because honestly, that might actually become reality. They have to showcase its evolution in Melmetal at some point so the fact that Meltan has done some battling recently points to it happening in the future.

SkyEmpress

Emperor of Destruction Guzma
    Years
  • I did kept saying, remind me of Johto the burned tower, but aw well.
    I did somehow hoped that suirin would battle instead of Satoshi even though it was pretty obvious.
    The guy did make me laugh and like I saw in previous comments, it was for sure some extra gym.

When ya heard XYZ I went to sin g a long right away, but I did expect some kind of gym music, ah well I am happy.

sad as now sign of Guzma again nor (Possible) in the next ep, so just need to keep on waiting and watching.

Back