• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen need help picking last 2 team members

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • hey nah i jacked ur idea anyway so i picked up platinum again just now from where i left off. i'm currently in veilstone, just gonna buff up a bit before i tackle the gym. i need help deciding on my last two party members though. my team consists of prinplup, spiritomb, beautifly, and roselia, none of which i plan on switching out so i need two more. automatic no's are houndoom, steelix, and porygon z as i am using them in a current HG playthrough...whenever i get back to that, but when i do, i wouldn't wanna be burnt out on those pokemon. i'm up for whatever is in the regional dex and i do have the ability to trade for evolutions and what not so that isn't an issue with suggestions. would like to avoid repeat types but i can make exceptions. was actually considering toxicroak tbh but do i Really need another poison type in a gen without fairies i mean. lol

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Let's see here...

Prinplup eventually becomes Water/Steel
    Spiritomb is Dark/Ghost(in a Generation with no Fairy Weakness...)
    Beautifly is Bug/Flying <- love that pick by the way
    Roselia is Grass/Poison <- feel like I'm back in Kanto already

Since you're in Veilstone, you're on Maylene and her Fighting Types. Beautifly should make short work of her, although that Lucario always poses issues. As such I recommend getting a Fire Type for not only her Lucario but Byron's Steel Type's and Candice's Ice Types(and Cynthia's Lucario). Fire Type that comes to mind for me is Magmortar, although you could go Rapidash or Flareon. Problem is that Physical Fire moves are just lacking(Fire Fang, Flame Wheel or Flare Blitz if you don't mind recoil).

For your final member I'd go for an Ice Type and one that comes to mind is Mamoswine since it's Ice/Ground, which would help against Volkner. Other Ice Type I'd recommend is Glaceon provided you can stomach that speed. Otherwise that Ice Beam.... yeah enough said.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • it's funny you say that bc beautifly went down to one rock tomb aha. i made quick work of her with everyone else though. magmortar is definitely a contender though, which is hilarious bc i said i didn't wanna use him when i initially started this file last fall bc i had used one in a previous playthrough. but at this point, it's been a long time since i used the thing.

mamoswine was another i was considering after i looked through the platinum regional dex as well. glaceon was in a previous platinum run so i'm avoiding that. mamoswine i'm still on the fence about because i'm just not a fan of that design and while i would just stick to piloswine, who really wants to do that when there is the chance of evolving it and making it more valuable to the team. rip. plus we are in an eviolite-less generation currently. what a shame.

but yeah magmortar is on the table hardcore, just thinking about how diverse its moveset can be is already giving me the itch to run out and grab a magby. was also considering this. shiny gligar that's sitting in my box lmfao it's traded from another game but its name is pharaoh but spelled wrong and i can't fix it and it's bugging me a hell of a lot...

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • it's funny you say that bc beautifly went down to one rock tomb aha. i made quick work of her with everyone else though. magmortar is definitely a contender though, which is hilarious bc i said i didn't wanna use him when i initially started this file last fall bc i had used one in a previous playthrough. but at this point, it's been a long time since i used the thing.

mamoswine was another i was considering after i looked through the platinum regional dex as well. glaceon was in a previous platinum run so i'm avoiding that. mamoswine i'm still on the fence about because i'm just not a fan of that design and while i would just stick to piloswine, who really wants to do that when there is the chance of evolving it and making it more valuable to the team. rip. plus we are in an eviolite-less generation currently. what a shame.

but yeah magmortar is on the table hardcore, just thinking about how diverse its moveset can be is already giving me the itch to run out and grab a magby. was also considering this. shiny gligar that's sitting in my box lmfao it's traded from another game but its name is pharaoh but spelled wrong and i can't fix it and it's bugging me a hell of a lot...

Well... Bug/Flying has x4 weakness to Rock :P. Its why I'm glad I don't play FRLG or Brock would really give me problems whenever I go with Butterfree lol. As for the Fire Type, you ruled out Houndoom and the selection of Fire Types in Platinum is shall we say... lacking lol. Probably why Chimchar is so popular. Flareon isn't too bad but its 65 Speed really hurts it, hence why I suggested Magmortar. Ponyta line is underwhelming with respect to Offense but its speed is right where you'd want a Fire Type to be. As for Mamoswine, I tried to give you two types that you'd really benefit from. Outside of Roselia, you don't really have anything that can resist or crush Electric Types. I then suggested Ice because Ice is the kryptonite for Garchomp. Otherwise... you're going to have a long day as they say lol. Plus you need something to cover Flying Types, which Togekiss is going to give you issues if you don't have something to counter it. Ironically Togekiss and Mamoswine share the same Speed Stat so... leveling and EV's should give you the Speed edge.

Anyways, its ultimately your call on what you want. I just threw out some suggestions, some of which I pulled from Nah's topic because she was looking for ideas for a team as well.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 31, 2023
    How about a couple of oddballs which would fit in the team quite well like Octillery, Medicham and Lickilicky?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Well... Bug/Flying has x4 weakness to Rock :P. Its why I'm glad I don't play FRLG or Brock would really give me problems whenever I go with Butterfree lol. As for the Fire Type, you ruled out Houndoom and the selection of Fire Types in Platinum is shall we say... lacking lol. Probably why Chimchar is so popular. Flareon isn't too bad but its 65 Speed really hurts it, hence why I suggested Magmortar. Ponyta line is underwhelming with respect to Offense but its speed is right where you'd want a Fire Type to be. As for Mamoswine, I tried to give you two types that you'd really benefit from. Outside of Roselia, you don't really have anything that can resist or crush Electric Types. I then suggested Ice because Ice is the kryptonite for Garchomp. Otherwise... you're going to have a long day as they say lol. Plus you need something to cover Flying Types, which Togekiss is going to give you issues if you don't have something to counter it. Ironically Togekiss and Mamoswine share the same Speed Stat so... leveling and EV's should give you the Speed edge.

Anyways, its ultimately your call on what you want. I just threw out some suggestions, some of which I pulled from Nah's topic because she was looking for ideas for a team as well.

i'm aware of that, i just thought it was funny you said my beautifly should have no trouble in the gym and it was the only one that didn't last aha. i have settled on magmortar, though. rapidash is boring as hell and i'm not too interested in flareon. i'm also being hard on myself cause i decided on gallade too. i'm just asking for trouble lol. i don't really EV train anyway, i don't take rando playthoughs of pokemon games all that seriously. i just wanted some fun pokemon to use.

How about a couple of oddballs which would fit in the team quite well like Octillery, Medicham and Lickilicky?

aw man i love octillery...if i didn't have prinplup, i would so go that route. octillery is awesome. i did briefly consider medicham, but i went with gallade for my psychic/fighting tastes. i ALMOST considered lickilicky...almost...then i remembered i hate it sldfkjalsd. i'll get over that...one day.

appreciate the suggestions guys!! hopefully i actually make it to the end lmfao. it's been a while since i played pokemon to the end.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • i'm aware of that, i just thought it was funny you said my beautifly should have no trouble in the gym and it was the only one that didn't last aha. i have settled on magmortar, though. rapidash is boring as hell and i'm not too interested in flareon. i'm also being hard on myself cause i decided on gallade too. i'm just asking for trouble lol. i don't really EV train anyway, i don't take rando playthoughs of pokemon games all that seriously. i just wanted some fun pokemon to use.

aw man i love octillery...if i didn't have prinplup, i would so go that route. octillery is awesome. i did briefly consider medicham, but i went with gallade for my psychic/fighting tastes. i ALMOST considered lickilicky...almost...then i remembered i hate it sldfkjalsd. i'll get over that...one day.

appreciate the suggestions guys!! hopefully i actually make it to the end lmfao. it's been a while since i played pokemon to the end.

Eh I was basing that on type advantage(Flying > FIghting and Bug/Flying resisting Fighting(1/4th). That said... Beautifly's Defenses aren't strong and Maylene's first two Fighting Types have Rock Tomb(which does x4...). Spiritomb would have been the optimal pick since Ghost is completely immune to Fighting. Good luck on your run.

Back