• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My First Competitive Team - Feedback?

IrishButSober

Screenplay Writer
Years
Well, as the title states, I've never made a competitive team before and have always played in-game so be gentle with your comments, but at the same time, don't sugarcoat it too much, I'll need honesty if I want to get this team up to scratch. Whether it's OU or UU I'm not so sure, I'll probably stick with UU seeing as I'm new to all of this. I got help from a friend or two on item choice and EV's seeing as those two parts are what I find difficult, but the Pokémon choices and moves are my own choice (apart from two of Scizor's).

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Ability: Thick Fat
Body Slam
Earthquake
Crunch
Fire Punch
Note: Not much to say here that hasn't been said about my other offensive Pokémon, except Snorlax is used more for taking hits and is used mainly against Pokémon whose main strength are SpA or Def.

Jolteon @ Leftovers
Nature: Timid
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Volt Absorb
Thunderbolt
Thunder wave
Double Team
Hidden Power Grass
Note: My favourite Pokémon and my fastest one on my team, I always loved the Thunder Wave/ Double Team combination.

Heracross @ Choice Band
90 HP / 253 Atk / 165 Spe
Megahorn
Close Combat
Pursuit
Night Slash
Note: Similar use to Scizor, but also used for anyone trying to switch out Pokémon with use of Pursuit.

Scizor @ Metal Coat
Ability: Technician
200 HP / 250 Atk / 58 Spe
Swords Dance
Superpower
U-turn
Bullet Punch
Note: Generally what I start off with and one of my more offensive Pokémon, great abuse of Bullet Punch with Metal Coat.

Starmie @ ????? (Not sure)
Nature: Modest
Ability: Natural Cure
8 HP / 250 SpA / 250 Spe
Ice Beam
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Surf
Note: I've always loved Starmie from the first generation and I enjoy it's diverse move pool and I generally use it to throw off opponents and is great as a last Pokémon.

Flygon @ ????? (Not sure)
Ability: Levitate
6 HP / 252 Atk / 250 Spe
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Outrage
U-turn

So there they are! I'm rather happy with the team as a whole, but would love some feedback on what could be changed to make my team stronger!

AssumingRain

pokemon veteran
Years
your pokemon are actually pretty good. I've been trying to get my hands on a scizor and a jolteon. Jolteon will probably always strike first and bullet punch with scizors strong offense really is deadly. I think you are trying to give to much for snorlax, since he is usually used as a staller pokemon, but you are also trying to make him a hard attacker. thats ok, but watch where that takes you. Starmie is good, it has normal stats and a good movepool. flygon is easily a must for any team. It has great speed and attack stats, so use him good. I think you might want to ditch the heracross though. You can get another pokemon and make your team more versatile.

overall: it's a good team with minimal flaws.

AssumingRain

pokemon veteran
Years
I'm looking over Snorlax and you are right, do you have any suggestions, as well something to replace Heracross if he needs replacing?

Replacing Snorlax and Heracross Hmmm...Definitely grab hold of a psychic pokemon. I perfer alakazam. His speed is really high along with his special offense. This combination can be a deadly one. You should definitely look into it.

Snorlax is a good pokemon, you might wanna mess with his TM's but, if you want to change it all together, I'd suggest a fire type. It woud definitely make your team more versatile, that or a grass. just about everyone has a grass pokemon or a steel, and a good charizard can cut that off in a one hit KO. Another good pokemon would be a Dragonite. It ranks 14th in overall highest attack, tied with only a few. A good dragonite can eliminate a whole team if you use it right.

hope this helps

AssumingRain

pokemon veteran
Years
then for a heracross, I'd replace him with either an Umbreon or an Alakazam most definitely. They both have their uses, and Umbreon is really popular now.

A good snorlax move set- rest, sleep talk, earthquake, slam

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
Years
Okay, let me try to help a little bit here.. :3

Well, as the title states, I've never made a competitive team before and have always played in-game so be gentle with your comments, but at the same time, don't sugarcoat it too much, I'll need honesty if I want to get this team up to scratch. Whether it's OU or UU I'm not so sure, I'll probably stick with UU seeing as I'm new to all of this. I got help from a friend or two on item choice and EV's seeing as those two parts are what I find difficult, but the Pokémon choices and moves are my own choice (apart from two of Scizor's).

Snorlax @ Leftovers
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Body Slam
Earthquake
Crunch
Fire Punch
Note: Not much to say here that hasn't been said about my other offensive Pokémon, except Snorlax is used more for taking hits and is used mainly against Pokémon whose main strength are SpA or Def.

Not really sure when it comes to this one. You might want to invest more in HP though, and perhaps some Defense? I'm not really sure when it comes to Snorlax..

Jolteon @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Baton Pass
Hidden Power Grass/Hidden Power Ice
Note: My favourite Pokémon and my fastest one on my team, I always loved the Thunder Wave/ Double Team combination.

lol Double Team and Thunder Wave. Thunder Wave is useless on something as fast as Jolteon and Double Team is banned in competitive battling due to evasion clause.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Megahorn
Close Combat
Pursuit
Night Slash
Note: Similar use to Scizor, but also used for anyone trying to switch out Pokémon with use of Pursuit.

Uhhh.. i'm not sure about this one. You should at least scarf it imo. You might consider Stone Edge too..

Scizor @ Life Orb
32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Swords Dance
Superpower/Brick Break
Bug Bite/Quick Attack/X-Scissor
Bullet Punch
Note: Generally what I start off with and one of my more offensive Pokémon, great abuse of Bullet Punch with Metal Coat.

No. Metal Coat is pretty bleh imo. Brick Break is better on SD Scizor, since Brick Break doesen't lower your stats. (aka it doesen't render your SD useless if you use it twice like Superpower does)

U-Turn on a SD Scizor? Ehh.. it might be useful for scouting early in the game, but ehh... it's mostly outclassed by Bug Bite and Quick Attack. Use X-Scissor if this is for Wifi and you for some reason haven't got HGSS.

Starmie @ Life Orb/Leftovers (Not sure)
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Ice Beam
Grass Knot/Rapid Spin
Thunderbolt
Surf
Note: I've always loved Starmie from the first generation and I enjoy it's diverse move pool and I generally use it to throw off opponents and is great as a last Pokémon.

Psychic sucks. It's STAB, but pretty much everything resists it lol. And btw, how many Poison/fighting types do you see in OU these days? not too many..

Flygon @ Choice Scarf (Not sure)
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Outrage
U-turn

Looks fine.

So there they are! I'm rather happy with the team as a whole, but would love some feedback on what could be changed to make my team stronger!

Sorry if I messed up badly here, lol.

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
the rules said:
— Do not rate without proper knowledge. If you are not an experienced competitive player, it is strongly recommended that you lurk the forum for a few days before posting. Rates that do not meet S&M standards will not be infracted immediately, but infractions will be handed out more willingly to repeat offenders.

— When making suggestions, explain them thoroughly, and try to consider the synergy and strategy of the team while giving advice. It is important to note that while pointing out weaknesses in a team is an important aspect of team building, you need to try to help fix the problems that you have pointed out. Telling someone how bad their team is doesn't do a lot of good.

Some people who have posted in this thread need to take a look at the rules.

BrainDamage

Vinyl Jockey
Years
Well, as the title states, I've never made a competitive team before and have always played in-game so be gentle with your comments, but at the same time, don't sugarcoat it too much, I'll need honesty if I want to get this team up to scratch. Whether it's OU or UU I'm not so sure, I'll probably stick with UU seeing as I'm new to all of this. I got help from a friend or two on item choice and EV's seeing as those two parts are what I find difficult, but the Pokémon choices and moves are my own choice (apart from two of Scizor's). first, of all, im going to start out by explaining that this team is OU. For a list of what is considered what tier, refer to http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/. Second of all. As a beginner comp. battler, i would recommend first trying to put together a team of already established movesets. While these can be more predictable, they are proven to work well with the proper synergy. Lists of these movesets can also be found on smogon

Snorlax @ Leftovers
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Body Slam
Earthquake
Crunch
Fire Punch/Selfdestruct

self destruct tends to be more helpful due to its massive base attack and STAB. of course, this is only to be used when low on health, or in emergency.

Jolteon @ Leftovers-no
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Thunderbolt
Thunder wave-no
Double Team-no
Hidden Power Grass

Take what moltres111 said and apply that. I wont reiterate, for the sake of time.

Heracross @ Choice Band
90 HP / 253 Atk / 165 Spe
Megahorn
Close Combat
Pursuit
Night Slash

You need to scrap either this or Scizor. To have both on the same team is rather pointless- they both cover the same types (mostly). I would recommend replacing this with something more physical defense oriented and can setup spikes/SR/toxic spikes. Not Skarmory though. cant think of one that is a good fit for this team atm.

Scizor @ Metal Coat no. never use these types of items. they only increase the one type of move by 10%
200 HP / 250 Atk / 58 Spe
Swords Dance
Superpower
U-turn
Bullet Punch

follow Moltres111 again on this one

Starmie @ leftovers
136 HP / 156 def / 216 Spe
recover
rapid spin

Thunderbolt
Surf

you definitely need a rapid spinner. 4/6 of your team is succeptible to Toxic spikes, 5/6 succeptible to spikes, and 6/6 succeptible to stealth rock. the above is the common rapid spinning set

Flygon @ choice scarf
6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Outrage
U-turn

choice scarf it, and i suppose it will be fine, although i think maybe specs. salamance could better play this position. don't quote me on that though

*suggested changes in bold.

I don't see any blaring weaknesses type-wise, but i didn't take too much time to think more about specific pokemon, ill let someone else help you with that. Anotther thing I noticed is that I am unsure of this team's ability to take out all the major threats. http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=168147 You need to go through such a list to check and see what you can take out, and what will cause you problems. That is how you can truly prepare a team.

Also, as an extra note, please excuse anything AssumingRain has suggested. I apologize for being frank with that comment, but he didn't get the hint that Aurafire presented, though did not call out specifically, because its not right to do so.

Also, I know a lot of people don't really like smogon, but i think it's a great tool for beginner battler until they learn more how things work and what kind of strategies work to take down specific things.

Last edited:

AssumingRain

pokemon veteran
Years
I don't see any blaring weaknesses type-wise, but i didn't take too much time to think more about specific pokemon, ill let someone else help you with that.

Also, as an extra note, please excuse anything AssumingRain has suggested. I apologize for being frank with that comment.

Also, I know a lot of people don't really like smogon, but i think it's a great tool for beginner battler until they learn more how things work and what kind of strategies work to take down specific things.

What was wrong with anything I said? It was good advice based on the principles of battling. It evened his team out more and he agreed with most of what I said. You,on the other hand, just told him not to agree with me, like you had a vendetta for me, also, you wouldn't give him advice but "let someone else do that for you." How you presented yourself, I wouldn't agree with anything you said.

IrishButSober

Screenplay Writer
Years
...Uh, moving on from that little confrontation, I'd like to thank you BrainDamage for your help, out of curisoity, if you had to, what members of my team would you keep and which would you recommend looking for a replacement? I'm looking at the link you gave me and there are some very interesting alternative options and since you know a lot more about this than I, what would you recommend? After all, the only one I was REALLY set on was Jolteon, since it is my favourite.

Last edited:

BrainDamage

Vinyl Jockey
Years
...Uh, moving on from that little confrontation, I'd like to thank you BrainDamage for your help, out of curisoity, if you had to, what members of my team would you keep and which would you recommend looking for a replacement? I'm looking at the link you gave me and there are some very interesting alternative options and since you know a lot more about this than I, what would you recommend? After all, the only one I was REALLY set on was Jolteon, since it is my favorite.

I can't really say heads or tails past what i've already mentioned. I've been out of the game for quite sometime and am just easing myself in. I don't want to send you out on the wrong direction.

IrishButSober

Screenplay Writer
Years
I understand, I suppose looking at the link you sent me opened my eyes to other possibilites and now I am struggling to see what I really want. Suppose that happens when you are shown the best of the best, suddenly you are overwhelmed with possibility.

AssumingRain

pokemon veteran
Years
I'm sorry if I acted, wrong, but I was trying to help. I definitely think you need to replace one of your pokemon with a good alakazam, his special attack and good speed make him one of the biggest threats in the game. Secondly, A tyranitar, a dragonite, or a salamence would be good, their skills are evenly done, plus their attack is some of the highest in the game. I use a tyranitar, and it is one of the best pokemon I have. If you are looking for strategies, the web site really helps. BrainDamage, The quarrel we had was irrelevant, and even still I think of you as a dick :) I don't think we need to keep the argument going on. I still am wondering, why did you tell him to dismiss what I said?

Also, I do have to agree with that which moltress and BrainDamage said.

If you need any help, PM me, I've been playing since a child(like 5 lol) and can easily help you.

I'd definitely take out the Heracross though, like Brain said, it's pointless having both him and scizor on your team, and scizor tends to be better overall. Flygon should stay, a good dragon and ground makes your team really flexible. Other than that, starmie, jolteon, and snorlax are fine on your team, just mess around with their movesets.

www.smogon.com is a really good website. Just trying to second that. but if you need any help locating a pokemon or seeing how to get one, I recommend www.pokemon.marriland.com It's one of my favorite pokemon sites, since it has much information that anyone can use. It has a whole pokedex of every pokemon, plus plenty of other features. Definitely a good site ;)

Last edited:

Aurafire

provider of cake
Years
Oh look, another tidbit from the rules!

— This forum is for rating teams, not rating rates. If you have a disagreement with something that someone posted, you can state it, but if something is simply ridiculous, just report the post instead of mini-modding.
Anymore posts that aren't explicitly directed towards IrishButSober's team will be deemed off-topic and infraction worthy. I like that you guys are posting, but please be smart about it -_-

IrishButSober

Screenplay Writer
Years
Back on topic once again, as I mentioned before, I'm only certain about Jolteon being on my team, but I've also grown rather fond of Scizor and with your suggested changes, he will also be kept on my team. But like I said, the rest of the team is open to change if people feel it is lacking in something. I believe for now I will stick to OU since apparently by sheer chance and luck, my first team choices were all OU (Flygon included now).

Back