• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Sequels!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
In my opinion, sequels are rarely good / better than the original.

What are your opinions on sequels? Do you think most of the time they are not needed? What are some sequels that you think work / are better than the original?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Sequels are good if done with care and not mindless cash grab. Spider-Man 2 for example is a really good sequel, the pinnacle I'd say, it surpasses Spider-Man 1 but doesn't overshadow it.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Well one sequel series in Legend of Korra is worth noting. I found it to be really good but many argue its not as good as the original since it was rushed or had little downtime to flesh out the characters like ATLA did in Book 2 and especially Book 3. In that I'd argue they have a point but the quality is still up there.

Contrast that to the French Anime Code Lyoko and its reboot/sequel Code Lyoko Evolution. You know how ATLA fans hold M.Night Shyamalan in disdain over his live action movie adaptation? Well take that x10 with CL Evolution(won't say any more than that).Then there's Star Wars Franchise. Empire Strikes Back is widely regarded as the best film(still is to me) but its not just movies. Clone Wars Animated series is widely regarded as the best. Even more so than Rebels, although I thought they did a decent job. Was disappointed in the finale with regards to Thrawn(he deserved better) but otherwise it wasn't half bad.

Disney has several sequels slated to debut in the next 1-2 years: Wreck-it-Ralph 2, Frozen 2, Mowgli(Jungle Book 2), Maleficent 2(forget the title) and more. What should be talked about isn't sequels but prequels. Like wtf?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I forgot about Nolan films and Terminator. Yeah those definitely would fall under sequels that surpassed the first. Also I liked Empire Strikes Back more than the original Star Wars film.

Back