• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] ? Altaria's Digital Art ?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 26, 2023
    ♡ Altaria's Digital Art ♡

bows-n-pearls.png

hello everyone, welcome to my gallery! for the past few years I've been dabbling in digital art and I've really been enjoying it. although I'm not that talented and still have a lot of improvement to do, I thought I'd post some of my work to get some fresh opinions and critique! I dont use Gimp, Photoshop, or any of the other usual photo editing software; I just use a software that has the basics -- layering, textures, brushes, etc.

here we go~

wallpapers:

Spoiler:

signatures/tags:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Thanks for stopping by, I'll be sure to update soon!~

Reunilu

of the Eastern Skies
    Years
  • PogChamp another graphics artist.

Critique, huh? Okay. Sorry if I go full ham on this analysis (ie I sound harsh/like I'm insulting you). I don't really know how to make a critique sound nicer without making my post sound uniform and boring.

From the perspective of a regular person (maybe a graphics artist that's been on tumblr for some time, too) these are pretty decent. Clearly you know what colors to use and the textures are aesthetically appealing. However, that's pretty much all I've got to say as far as that. From a general GFX perspective, your stuff is very unrefined and messy from all of the texture spam. It doesn't feel like there's any control of flow/eye movement and it just sort of makes most of your stuff look like it was whipped up in ten minutes.

Some last words: in my opinion, with the way you're making your stuff, I don't really think you need GIMP/Photoshop/whatever. It's just the outcome of your stuff is just... meh. But yeah, you already know that. So the only real advice I can give you is something along the lines of "practice and experiment more".

Last edited:
    Years
  • I have to say, I agree with the suggestions made in Johnny's post to try an spice up your tags or wallpapers!

Your art is good and it also holds a lot of possibilities for improvement or open gateways to different styles to explore. I really dig the circle icons/avatars. I like all of them except for the square one only because it's made well but comparing to the other icons it's not as fun to look at.

bC58XoU.png
    1mhcw3N.png

These right here are great. I love the flower image coming out of the circle border. It's fun, it's pretty, it has texture, it's great to look at! For the second one, I think you have a nice palette and interesting background.
    I think an issue that comes up that LITERALLY tons of people have when making tags it: use of text. Those are just some major things in your tags I'd look out for. Try less text and smaller font? Either or could work. There are tags that have BIG text but it's only maybe one or two words? A lot of text can really make a tag look cluttered, and I think your strongest pieces have no text. If you want to try working on text, try something smaller - like a name!

I agree with Johnny on studying the render and thinking of it's action because you can pretty much dictate where a viewer's eyes will travel on the piece. Johnny suggested layer masks so I'll suggest: you can use the pen tool or smudge tool (both are in PS and Gimp but gimp is free) for different effects that could help set a direction to go along with your render. If you want some tutorial links or suggestion with a future piece, hit me up on discord or PM me here!
    Your work is good - if you need help you can talk to anyone here, and also keep an eye out for designs and art that inspire you. It might be something you'd like you add to your work! Keep on creating. c:​

Back