• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen So whats the deal with the elite 4 in gen 1 anyways?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 23, 2019
What i mean by that is the super-effective damage and typings.
Using flamethrower against cloyster and lapras is "not very effective", though it should be neutral, because of ice type.
Gyarados takes super-effective damage to ice attacks, when it should be neutral.
I think i forgot at least one more that is messed up, cant remember right now.

Also, why is my Articuno taking super-effective damage from submission?

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
What i mean by that is the super-effective damage and typings.
Using flamethrower against cloyster and lapras is "not very effective", though it should be neutral, because of ice type.
Gyarados takes super-effective damage to ice attacks, when it should be neutral.
I think i forgot at least one more that is messed up, cant remember right now.

Also, why is my Articuno taking super-effective damage from submission?

Articuno is an Ice Type and Submission is a Fighting move. Realistically, it should take neutral damage due to its Flying Typing but Generation 1 is odd. Case in point: Zapdos takes Super-Effective Electric Attacks despite being an Electric Type(wherein it should be at best neutral). There?s also Nidoqueen and Nidoking taking Not Very Effective Damage from Grass Attacks(wherein it should be neutral). Also Gyrados takes little Damage from Grass attacks despite being a Water Type(Flying Typing must be dominant, hence why Ice does Super Effective Damage).

Also Bug moves on Poison are shall we say different in Gen 1. Same with Ghost on Psychic.

Guest123_x1

The issue you're describing is one of many well-known issues with Generation I. The type match-up reporting in regards to resistances of one type canceling out the secondary type's weakness was written in a way that the effectiveness message was based on the lowest-available entry in the type match-up list.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/..._Generation_I#Dual-type_damage_misinformation

As part of this issue, a move used on a dual-type Pok?mon that is both immune to and either weak or resistant to that move's type (e.g. Dig used on Charizard, Golbat, or Zapdos) will cause the game to always report that the attack missed (which might cause certain players to spam the usage of X Accuracy.)
Because of the rules of basic mathematics (anything multiplied by zero is zero), a type immunity posed by one type on a dual-type Pok?mon that has its other type weak to the same opposing move is absolute and always enforces the type immunity.

Last edited:

TaviTurnip

Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
As a kid I always assumed that the game still treated the damage calc based on what message it gave, rather than just erroneously reporting one way or the other. I probably should have noticed this was wrong when many Super Effective moves did mediocre damage, but I was more interested in trying to figure out why it displayed some as SE and others as NVE. (Not that that mattered.)

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
*uses Ice Beam on Charizard, it was super-effective* What. The. Forretress?

If it were me answering, (I need to stop sounding 'clever'. :irate-stare: ) I'd say something like that is the reason that made Gen1 so endearing; the Safari Zone glitch in Cinnabar (not telling anyone how I got my Tauros :shaking-head-no: ) the broken crit moves (Thanks, GF, for making Slash OP for me :evil-smirk: ) and that fact that the text is broken when attacking opposition with contradictory types in reaction to certain moves. It's kind of what made this prototype of a game gen so beloved imo, despite how BrokenSlash might be used against you.

Life's a glitch, especially when it comes to Gen1.

Amy May

Banned
Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Nov 13, 2021
Ohh that used to annoy me soo much lol. xD

But Ehhh... i'll glady take that in 1st Gen with all the cool glitchy stuff that comes with it! :D

Back