• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stop XP gain from lowbies?

Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2018
    Hello,
    I'm about to attempt creating a Pokemon hack for Gameboy Advance.

I'd like to modify the game so that once your Pokemon reaches a certain level, you stop gaining XP from defeating Pokemons too far below you in level.

For example, a level 20 Pokemon gains XP from mobs level 16 and up, but 0 xp from any Pokemon below level 16.

What tool would be best to change this, and roughly how would it be done?

Thx

Natzen

Creator of Pokémon: Sanguine
    Years
  • An interesting idea! I'd also like to know how this is done, it sounds like some pretty complicated ASM stuff though, brownie points to anybody that has an answer?
    :p

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    You could just look for an ASM routine that implements the Gen 5 XP gain (IE defeating a Pok?mon higher level than you gives more XP, and defeating one of lower level yields less XP) and just make the curve more extreme.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • Anyone? :D
    An interesting idea! I'd also like to know how this is done, it sounds like some pretty complicated ASM stuff though, brownie points to anybody that has an answer?
    :p

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9727834&postcount=1252

In this post I made a routine for implementing scaled experience. (So you gain more if the opponent is of a higher level than you).

Doing what you suggest would be similar except if the Pokemon is below a certain level, then you gain nothing.

Doing this wouldn't be too hard to do, given that I've already proven it's possible to hack the exp. distribution. Basically what you would need to do is get the levels of the two Pokemon, get the ratio of the levels, and set the exp. to zero if the percent is less than or equal to 80 (based on your example with the lv. 16 and lv. 20 Pokemon).

If you need help modifying the routine you can ask me and I'll help point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
    Back