• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ROM Hack] Pokemon FireRed 898 Randomizer #ApocalockeChallengeReworked

bez850

Professional Amateur
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 22, 2023
Intro:​
First and foremost, I'd like to apologize for wasting a post on a journal that ended after two entries. That was due to negligence, HOWEVER, I am being far less careless in this next challenge!

With that being said, I want to thank "Greenphx" the creator of the rom hack I am doing this challenge with, "Pokemon Fire Red 898 Randomizer". It's the same story as the original fire red, but pokemon encounters are completely randomized. As well as quality of life enhancements, features updated, 898 Gen 1-8 Pokemon added to the game, and so forth and so on.

A fun way to do the #ApocalockeChallengeReworked that the user [USER]Pumpkaboo92[/USER] BROUGHT OVER TO POKECOMMUNITY! A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU!
This challenge is an enhanced nuzlocke that I am doing with a randomizer, meaning ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!
Challenge Rules:
  1. All Pokemon Must Be Nicknamed!
  2. If A pokemon faints, then it dies! Release it or Store it!
  3. You May Only use the type that matches your Apocalypse!
  4. You May Only catch the first pokemon you encounter in each area/route, if it matches your types!
  5. Types can be primary, or secondary types! As long as they have that type!
  6. If You Cannot Progress because of HM restrictions, you are permitted to catch an HM Slave as a support pokemon!
  7. Upon encountering a duplicate during your first encounter on a route, you may get one additional encounter!
  8. You must randomly select a number 1-45 to select your Apocalocke Scenario!
  9. I Cannot purchase anything from the pokemart, except poke balls! All healing items must be found in game!
This is a paraphrasing of the original rules, to see all of [USER]Pumpkaboo92[/USER] challenge rules and page, follow this link here!
The number I got with a random 45 sided die roller online was 8!
Which makes my Apocalocke Scenario a meteor strike!!!
A meteor strike means I can only use the following types: Fire, Fairy, Steel, Ice, Psychic, and Normal!
My Characters name is Brandon! And here we go!!​

bez850

Professional Amateur
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 22, 2023
Journal Entry 1
The game runs as fire red normally does, but with every pokemon encounter randomized, things can get whacky. The starters I was offered were basically Exploud and Feraligatr. Since Normal is one of the types I can use, I decided to just go ahead and stick with it.

I named the Exploud, Loudmouth!

As we began the journey the first pokemon I encountered that I could capture (I'm fast forwarding through the Viridian Pokemart chapter) was a Stakataka! Whom I accidentally knocked out! 🙃
So I start off with a final evolution Pokemon at level 5, so its stats are higher and immediately run into an Ultra Beast, but with my allotted type? Sweet. Too bad I knocked it out.

It is because of this event, I decided to write a short story that chronicles the journey of this trainer in a Post Apocalyptic (Or "P.A." For short) named Brandon and his Exploud named Loudmouth. His team in that short story will mirror the team in this run through, and I will update a link to the first post at a later time once I upload it to the correct area.

Anywho! Now that I've accidentally beat up a potential banger of a first catch, I make my way to Viridian Forest! In the route just before it I run into a Houndour! It was a girl so I decided to name it Hecate after the Greek Goddess of Dogs! Thankfully didn't KO this one too! As soon as I enter Viridian Forest I run into an Incineroar! It's literally as if when the randomizer started randomizing the encounters on the maps it went "Hmm, the player is doing a type restriction type of challenge. We better throw him a bone early before he gets royally screwed!" Because honestly…. I can feel it coming!

So, after naming Incineroar "Ares" (had to stay on theme) I began to take on the gauntlet of bug trainers in this location. To my surprise, almost every single one had a Tapu Bulu…. No exaggeration. A Tapu Bulu and Galarian Slowbro. So a strong grass type and a strong psychic/poison type. Luckily, I had fire and ghost type attacks and I breezed through it, but SHEESH! I can imagine a non-randomized run of this hack would be a bit tough for a starter.

After clearing through the forest and its trainers, I stopped in the patch of grass right before Pewter City. A Pidgey popped up. I was disappointed by this. However… it has a Normal typing so I added it to my team. You can never be too safe! After I did that, I went to challenge Brock!

His camper was really weak, and had a horsea and a mankey for whatever reason, but what's worse is that Brock wasn't much more of a threat! Brock starts with a horsea, and then throws a Ditto at me! He's a breeder understandably but c'mon! The only thing that made it interesting was that I was able to Dynamax Exploud, and he Dynamaxed his Ditto. So there was that!

That is all for todays entry! The teams Pokemon Info is down below!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220615-222144_My Boy!.jpg
    Screenshot_20220615-222144_My Boy!.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20220615-222110_My Boy!.jpg
    Screenshot_20220615-222110_My Boy!.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20220615-222134_My Boy!.jpg
    Screenshot_20220615-222134_My Boy!.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220615-222140_My Boy!.jpg
    Screenshot_20220615-222140_My Boy!.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

bez850

Professional Amateur
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 22, 2023
Journal Entry 2:
Picking up where we left off, the walk to Mt. Moon is paced with several different strong trainers. I had to walk back to the Pokemon Center every two or three trainers just to make it through. I finally see the first patch of grass here and when I go walking around it, the first pokemon encounter is a horsea. Which is a type I cannot catch. Lovely. So I beat it up and begin to walk over to the lass that hangs out by herself in this random ravine.

As expected, she was like all the other trainers on this route, possessing pokemon far beyond their class… As in, she had an Entei. Which is about as tough as a random early trainer encounter can get. Especially considering my whole team thus far was fire types, a pidgey and an exploud. Surprisingly, Loudmouth crushed Entei and I went on my merry way.

Healed up and entered Mt. Moon. Immediately I encounter a Darmanitan. I'm serious, I cannot make this up. I keep having first encounters with predominantly fire types. It's now 3-3, Fire Type vs Some other type. Anyways, I add the Darmanitan and name it's Hephaestus to remain on theme. While going through a gauntlet of trainers clearly designed to slow me down, I had to contemplate a serious question… Does Mt. Moon having separate floors/rooms count as separate areas?

I decided to say yes, as it has its own individual sets of encounter rates in the original game and it is separate mappings. That being said, I had already explored and battled around a bit for experience and looking for elusive items I needed. I gained one attempt that I felt was a fair attempt, and that was right before the fossil maniac I encountered a GLASTRIER!
With that being said, I got my butt kicked and lost Hephaestus, and almost lost Loudmouth, Aries and Hecate as well… It was pretty brutal. I usually only carry about 10 poke balls at a time and I went through 7 of them with the pokemon having a slim red line and it never even nudged, just opened back up. So I moved on and finished up with Mt. Moon. Even had Judey evolve into a Pidgeotto!

This next mistake is something I'm curious about, so if any one has an opinion on the matter, feel free to PM me about it so I know what other nuzlockers are doing! Any who, I went through the route entering cerulean and captured a Floette! And then I forgot to give it a nickname and clicked too fast to skip it. Now, if this happens, I put that pokemon away to never be used, as if it dies. Simply because I broke one of the cardinal rules. Y'all let me know what y'all usually do!

This is where I saved up for the second entry before hitting the pillow top! Til Next entry!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220616-105058_My Boy!.jpg
    Screenshot_20220616-105058_My Boy!.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220616-101534_My Boy!.jpg
    Screenshot_20220616-101534_My Boy!.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220616-103712_My Boy!.jpg
    Screenshot_20220616-103712_My Boy!.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1

bez850

Professional Amateur
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 22, 2023
Journal Entry 3:

Picking up where we left off, I decided to head north and challenge nugget bridge and see if I could catch anything from route 24 and 25. I eased my way through the first 6 trainers. At this point, Loudmouth had already learned Fire Punch, Echoed Voice, Rock Tomb, and Astonish while Aries knew Fire Fang, Thunder Punch, Bite and Double Kick.

Making them relatively formidable. However, even with an experience share I wanted to certain members of my team to gain extra experience. Especially considering I lost Darmanitan as soon as I got him and Floette because I never gave her a nickname. With that being said, there were two routes with a first encounter waiting for me behind six of 15 trainers.

As it turned out, I would learn, these trainers on nugget bridge and beyond would end up being pretty tough. I breezed through the first 6 but the Aries and Loudmouth both took enough hits that I should hit the pokemon center up before continuing. I, unfortunately, could not resist the urge. I went into the patch of grass to the left next to the bridge and did not encounter a type I could capture. Which sucks.

Then the worst thing ever happened. I was careless, yet again, and got seen by that camper in the grass there. This wouldn't normally be a problem, but again, my two major hitters were injured.

Fortunately, I won the battle.

Unfortunately, Judey died in the process.

My wife nicknames half of my pokemon for me cause I do a lot of nuzlocke challenges. That being said, she always names my birds "Judy" or some variation of that. So whenever a "Judy", or "Judey" in this case, dies it is always a little extra sad.

Moving on, I healed up, and took on the remaining 8 trainers in route to Bill's house. I also encountered no pokemon I could catch, and my team was down to 3. Thrilling. I got through most of those trainers relatively unscathed, until I didn't. Poor Hecate got beaten by a grass type. That was significantly weaker. I'm actually very disappointed. As well as sad.

Before taking on the gym, just to ensure I had a team to compete with, I decided to skip ahead to try to catch more pokemon, as I only had two in my party. Well I was in luck! On route 5 I obtained meditite! I nicknamed her Yoga! On route 6 I caught a Galarian Slowbro and nicknamed it Dro! I decided to play it safe and check route 11 and diglett cave. I struck out on route 11, but I encountered a Galarian Meowth in diglett cave and added that to the squad, his name is Cutta!

With the new editions to the team, I felt safer about taking on Misty. I made my way back up and, once again, was severely underwhelmed by the gym trainers and leader. The regular gauntlet of trainers and wild pokemon at random are a bit tough but the gyms aren't great. I solo'd everyone, including Misty, with my Exploud. Misty used a Mankey and an Emolga. 'Twas an easy bout.

This is where I saved up for this entry!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220619-083133_My Boy!.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-083133_My Boy!.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20220619-083148_My Boy!.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-083148_My Boy!.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220619-083142_My Boy!.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-083142_My Boy!.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1

bez850

Professional Amateur
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 22, 2023
Journal Entry 4:

I got a little caught up with work the last few days, and working on my fanfiction, so I am a bit jumbled on some of the details. However, I will do my best to recount my most recent adventures!

Essentially, I continued on the path to Vermillion City and trained my team a bit on the SS Anne. The down fall to this was that I lost Cutta! Which stinks because I actually really was looking forward to having Perrserker on my team!

After obtaining cut, I healed up, deposited Cutta and prepared to face Lt. Surge. I forget whom he had on his team, but I can tell you that they were truly weak. I swept through the entirety of the gym trainers and Surge with Loudmouth and went on about my business. The next phase was to head up to Route 10 and hit up Rock Tunnel!

Here was the challenge, however… I haven't caught, nor been allowed to, enough Kanto region pokemon to get flash. You need 10 pokemon in the Kanto dex. I have 4! Because of this, I decided to hit up Rock Tunnel in the dark. Except, I made a vital mistake, and that was that I didn't have the map brought up on my tablet. I tried to go off memory and that was a mistake. We lost Loudmouth and Dro… I can absolutely tell you I was crushed. The trainer difficulty took another step up, and I learned in the first battle how unprepared I was.

I was still on the first floor of the tunnel. My next couple of steps I encountered a Pikipek, captured, named it Sam. It is part normal type, and therefore eligible. I made my way to a ladder, and on the next floor I encountered a Zangoose. I caught it, and named it Sharp! I kind of barely scraped by another random battle or two (the Pikipek evolving along the way) and then found another ladder. After a few more random steps, I went through another ladder.

I was suddenly outside back at the start. After using a map, and navigating through rock tunnel, i quickly ran through route 8 and wasted no time getting to Celadon City. On route 8 and 7 I had no luck with new Pokemon, which would prove costly.

I went to the top floor of the department store to get the free eevee, but it was also randomized and turned out to be Octillery, so i could not use it. I proceeded to take on the gym real quick.

I breezed through the trainers, but Erika was a brick wall. She had all Zoroark and Guzzlord... Her last Guzzlord was basically unbeatable for my team. She swept my entire team. Losing my Exploud really hurt, and I guess I had been too reckless. But also, I severely underestimed this ROM hacks difficulty jump between the last two gyms.

Below is the final team/trainer card!

E70C5562-5DC7-4BED-8ADE-61E7326DC95C.png

Challenge failed!

Last edited:
Back