• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need Help First Competitive Team Attempt

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2020
    Hello all! Have been playing Pokémon since Blue, but Sword is the first game I am actually trying to play competitive online.

I obviously do not have experience in team building other than "oh that Pokémon looks cool", so forgive me if theirs teams is bad.

I don't have moves picked but I'm think omg of going with:

Tyranitar
    Dragapult
    Gastradon
    Lucario
    Volcorana (I think is how it's spelt)
    Porygon2

Is any of this good or all bad, please help!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    There are many team builders online or apps which show you the type weaknesses and resistances of your team.
    Besides typings, Pokémon can be used in different ways but many times a certain build works wonders with a matching movest.
    One to soak up Special Attack while another dishes out Physical Damage for example. Don't stress about it, pick a/ or a few Pokémon
    you like and build a team around those. Just remember that some Pokémon's potential might be limited by their stat numbers.
    Personally I used to browseSmogon for builds. It's trial and error. Just like you I played since the very beginning but only started
    playing competitively later on.Soon enough I found out that the scene is quite accessible and you'll play all levels of opponents.

I've used your team as an example:

DELETE.png

PS: At a higher level small margins count as they do in all competitions. You might have heard of IV's and Natures.
    There are in-depth guides available online discussing those topic. You can trade or breed Pokémons with these stats yourself.
    At this point I wouldn't delve into this yet and just start with playing around a bit with team building and strategies.
    After all, it's all about fun! Once you've finished your teams, you can always post these on this forum and let other members rate them.

Last edited:
    Back