• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokemon Shining Star/Shady Eclipse

Djaco75

DAJ 775
Years
  • --------------------------------------------------------NOTE: If you would like to help us in any way, post back saying what you can do or what you would like to do.------------------------------------------------------

Hi, guys! Ever since myself and one of my friends were little, we've always loved Pokemon. That's why we decided to make our very own Pokemon game. We came up with a region, planned the characters and chose the Pokemon. Then, we used the Pokemon Essentials kit along with RPG Maker XP to turn our planning into a real, live Pokemon game. At this stage, all of the maps have been completed and there are only a few bugs that need to be ironed out before it can be officially released. We have been working on this game for over 7 months now and it's amazing what you can get done in such a short amount of time. We believe that our game will bring back tradition to Pokemon and do so in an original manner. Enjoy!

Welcome to the Genus Region, yet another island located in the Pokemon world. Filled with new Pokemon and characters, this is the place for your next adventure to begin. Though the Genus Region may seem all light and fluffy, it has a dark backside to it, along with an evil group of ghosts called Team Spectre. You start off your adventure with one of three starter Pokemon, challenging your two rivals along the way. You will travel through all of the cities and towns, collecting gym badges so that you can challenge the Elite Four and Genus Champion! However, along the way, you will encounter mysterious ghost-likes that will try to steal your Pokemon, take your items and make your life miserable. These people belong to an organisation called Team Spectre. Their goal is to eliminate weakness from the entire universe and must take control of the Galaxy Duo to achieve their goal of not only wiping weakness from the world but from space too. After defeating the Pokemon League, Team Spectre is still on their mission, this time with more legendary Pokemon on their side. But it's not all bad news. There is an organisation called the PRT, or the Pokemon Ranger Team who want to promote equality in Pokemon. But are they on your side? Will you be able to save the weak Pokemon of this world? Or will they be destroyed forever?

In Pokemon Shining Star and Shady Eclipse, many features have been saved from older Pokemon games and many will be introduced. Mega Evolution, the PWT, Safari Zone, Gyms, Pokemon League, Game mode selection and mouse functionality have been salvaged from other games, but there are many new features too. Some of these include new Pokemon, Genus Species (transforming Pokemon with exclusive items), new items, new maps, new types, new regions, new evil team, new rivals, new characters, new moves and increased difficulty battles. You will be provided with information on how to use these features in the readme.txt

Screenshots:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dOh39wV-He7UV6ynZUnTs3KpWtOHT0iLDQGkbVHQN74

Links:
    Planning Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u6qGr5aYO4GN9X3U6xxLP0AE_4mHil9ir6w3yiqk3EY/edit

http://pokemonshiningstarshadyeclipse.weebly.com

Credits:
    Pokemon Designs: (There are too many, so I included a link to a document)
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nLnsO1omxswa2zDkzShMSoFIHXz1InPGz_AsvMN_-MY/edit

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlgJd6qwwxA

Luka S.J:
    Elite Battle System
    Mouse Module
    PWT Project
    Fancy Bagde System (To be included in the future)

Pokemon Essentials Creators:
    Flameguru
    Poccil (Peter O.)
    Maruno

With contributions from:
    Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
    Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
    FL.<s>PinkMan
    Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
    Harshboy<s>Rataime
    help-14<s>SoundSpawn
    IceGod64<s>the__end
    Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>Venom12
    KitsuneKouta<s>Wachunga
    Lisa Anthony<s>xLeD
    and everyone else who helped out

RPGXP Creators:
    Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
    The Pokémon Company
    Nintendo
    Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
    No copyright infringements intended.
    Please support the official games!

NOTE: As we progress with programming, more credits will be added!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2017
    I've been trying to make a game but it is still in planning stage so in the meantime do you need any help with anything? I could help with post game if needed!

Djaco75

DAJ 775
    Years
  • It's Update Time!!

As of today, there are three updates that the developers of PSSSE would like to share. They are the following:

1. We have decided to make the appeal of the game more aesthetic, so we have ditched the Generation 3 tilesets and gone for Generation 4. This will bring a more modern feel to the game. As such, we are about halfway through re-mapping and will be done by February 2017.

2. We have now completed the archive of custom Gym Leader, Elite Four, Team Spectre and NPC sprites. Thanks to Kirlial for doing those for us! Also, we have created new protagonist sprites to go with the new region's theme. A huge thanks to Kirlial again.

3. We will be releasing a beta version of the game on the first of February, but only those who have been registered as approved beta testers will be given access. If you would like to test out our game before anyone else, PM me and I will see if it can be organised for you to beta test.

Lastly, a reminder that, as of now, all screenshots, trainers and media is out of date. We will upload new ones, however, we are waiting until all of the graphics are complete first. Make sure you drop that PM if you want to play, give plenty of feedback (constructive criticism in welcome) and stay tuned for more updates.

Looking forward to seeing you play our game,
    Djaco75

Djaco75

DAJ 775
    Years
  • Hey Everyone,

Happy New Year! I am pleased to bring you the latest news of Pokemon Shining Star and Shady Eclipse. (Please feel free to forward this onto your friends, family, etc.)

Updated Threads: In the coming weeks, you can look forward to some screenshots of the game being updated as well as much of the media in our threads. Stay tuned!

Graphical Upgrades: The Generation 4 project is now complete! Thanks to all those who helped out! We have upgraded from Generation 3 graphics to Generation 4, otherwise known as the Sinnoh Region. We hope this makes your playing experience more enjoyable.

Custom Overworld Sprites: Thanks to one of my friends, we now have a complete set of custom overworlds. These are for the Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Champion, Team Spectre etc. I hope that this will make the game more unique and original.

Website: Unfortunately, we have had to remove the new Pokemon page from the website as decisions are being made about that at the moment. However, we are working on a wiki, which will be mentioned later.

Media: At the moment, we have two forums approved, which can be found at the bottom of this email. We also have a website, which can be found below. And we are currently working on a wiki, which can also be found below. Please note the wiki is incomplete.

Concept Art: I have sent the base designs of our cover art to a graphic designer, who is in charge of the concept art for our game. He has finished the Shady Eclipse cover art and is working on the Shining Star at the moment. More concept art will be released in the future.

Beta Version 0.1 and Beta Testers: Thanks to all who applied to beta test our game. Now the generation 4 project is complete, we will be releasing a beta version shortly. After the beta testing is complete, you can looks forward to a demo.

Demo Version: The PSSSE Demo Version will be released as soon as the beta testing is complete. Hopefully, this demo will be better than the old one... We will be publishing the link when it is ready and we will notify you if you have subscribed to the thread.

Hard Game Copies: We have organised a few hard copies of the game to distribute, however, we have some more to spare. These copies will be for the people who help us in any way. If you would like to contribute to our game, please send me an email.

New Trailer: Shortly, a new trailer will be released where you can see the new overworlds as well as the upgraded graphics. I will email all when the trailer is released. Just a last minute check, at the end of Tuesday, the release trailer will be taken down, so if you want to watch it one last time, better hurry.

Fakemon: Lastly, and on a not so good note, we are deciding whether or not to put Fakemon in our game. There are various issues with putting them in, so we will discuss them. If you would like to voice your opinions, please reply to all this email or send me another email regarding your opinions.

Forum 1: http://reliccastle.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1257

Forum 2: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=383915

Wiki: http://pokemon-shining-star-and-sha...i/Pokémon_Shining_Star_and_Shady_Eclipse_Wiki

Many blessings for the year,
    Djaco

Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2021
    I'm going to be honest here but I'll offer constructive critiscism , going by the screenshots and video's provided there is a lot of room for improvement.

Looking at the maps, they look very boring and rigid. This is mostly because they look very symmetric and lots of buildings are repeated on the same axis. To make them look better you could put some extra space between buildings and put some details in the empty spaces. For example the third screenshot in the Google Drive link: The path is very wide in one rigid shape, there are three lighthouses next to each other and there are 10(!) mailboxes between the Pokemon Center and the Pokemart. I suggest spicing the maps up a little with some variation in the path shapes, adding some flowers or other details between houses and try to minimize needless open space.

Second while I think the hand drawn art looks great, it doesn't blend well in battles with regular sprites especially with what I assume is the Photoshop Mosiac filter. I recommend sticking with a consistent style for sprites.

That being said I wish you good luck with further development of your game, and I hope you can benefit from my criticism.
    I'm not trying to bring you down, I genuinely hope you can use this information to improve your game.

Djaco75

DAJ 775
    Years
  • I'm going to be honest here but I'll offer constructive critiscism , going by the screenshots and video's provided there is a lot of room for improvement.

Looking at the maps, they look very boring and rigid. This is mostly because they look very symmetric and lots of buildings are repeated on the same axis. To make them look better you could put some extra space between buildings and put some details in the empty spaces. For example the third screenshot in the Google Drive link: The path is very wide in one rigid shape, there are three lighthouses next to each other and there are 10(!) mailboxes between the Pokemon Center and the Pokemart. I suggest spicing the maps up a little with some variation in the path shapes, adding some flowers or other details between houses and try to minimize needless open space.

Second while I think the hand drawn art looks great, it doesn't blend well in battles with regular sprites especially with what I assume is the Photoshop Mosiac filter. I recommend sticking with a consistent style for sprites.

That being said I wish you good luck with further development of your game, and I hope you can benefit from my criticism.
    I'm not trying to bring you down, I genuinely hope you can use this information to improve your game.

First off, thanks for all of the feedback. I really appreciate the time gone into this.

Secondly, I'm guilty of not updating the screenshots for a while. In this time, we've re-done every single map of the game, so I should get around to re-doing the screenshots very soon.

There is one important point that you mentioned, which is the fan-art. Unfortunately, we don't have a spriter, so we have to stick with the original designs, which don't really fit into the game. It's a shame, but that's the only possible option.

Thanks again for the feedback and stay tuned for the updated screenshots.

SpartaLazor

Doofus Lunarius
    Years
  • There is one important point that you mentioned, which is the fan-art. Unfortunately, we don't have a spriter, so we have to stick with the original designs, which don't really fit into the game. It's a shame, but that's the only possible option.

I mean, honestly, if that's the case, then I would just go with recolored sprites or something like that. Sure, it looks crappy and newbish, but so does using fan-art as sprites. And if you have to pick between two things that are crappy and newbish, then go with the one that would be more look more consistent.

Back