• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Balanced Offensive with a stall core? (UU)

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    So I've been using this team on the lower ladder and I've had some success, but that is no doubt because the lower ladder is filled with some highly unusual team choices like Dusclops and Milotic. I created my core of Entei + Heracross. It has proven surprisingly effective, with very little in the UU tier able to take on both of these threats at once. Furthermore, I included a stall core of Blissey + Crobat + Suicune; these three can significantly annoy threats that force each other out. Finally, I included Noivern, which was a strange choice for a special wallbreaker but I have appreciated the Switcheroo support. However I am definitely willing to replace Noivern as it seems to be outclassed by other offensive Dragon-types. I like the idea of Hydreigon, but its middling Speed (particularly the fact it's under 100) concerns me, as does its weakness to Fighting and Bug. Going with a non-Dragon special attacker could also help deal with the plethora of Dragons in the tier, if I run a Fairy or Ice type coverage move.

Entei @ Choice Band
    Ability: Pressure
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Sacred Fire
    - Extreme Speed
    - Stone Edge
    - Bulldoze

Entei is truly a monster in the UU metagame, and I think Sacred Fire has given Entei a way to punish what would otherwise be rather decent switch-ins such as Gyarados and Haxorus. The Smogon analysis suggests using Flare Blitz over Bulldoze, and I do see why. Stone Edge hits most of the Pokemon that Sacred Fire can't much harder than Bulldoze. However, I really never find a use for Flare Blitz, as I try to keep Entei healthy throughout the match so that it can continue to force out Pokemon like Espeon, Galvantula and Whimsicott. Bulldoze does at least provide the utility of lowering a switch-in's speed and potentially forcing it out with the appropriate check.

Heracross @ Choice Band
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Megahorn
    - Close Combat
    - Knock Off
    - Stone Edge

This thing can rip through just about anything that Entei struggles with. Heracross' Close Combat will rip through most teams, and before using the move Heracross can survive most neutral hits and then retaliate. Honestly the only moves I have used on this set for the most part are Close Combat and Knock Off; very little but hard resists and Ghost types can tank one of Heracross' Close Combats and Knock Off will hit most Psychic and Ghost types very hard. Most people probably wouldn't prefer to use two Choice Band users (along with a Specs user) on the same team, but I have actually had some great success maintaining momentum with these two as one of the two of them can potentially force out the entire metagame and are both capable of punishing switch-ins with Bulldoze/Sacred Fire/Knock Off. Furthermore Heracross is a great status absorber for the team; a Guts-boosted CB Heracross has no safe switch-ins.

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Seismic Toss
    - Soft-Boiled
    - Toxic
    - Stealth Rock

As is with most offensive cores, Entei and Heracross don't like switching into powerful special attacks. This is where Blissey comes in. While Blissey can be Taunt bait for Pokemon like Mandibuzz and Crobat, its Natural Cure allows it to absorb status and Toxic can help Blissey stall out threats that would otherwise wall it. Espeon, which gives a couple team members some trouble (particularly Crobat and Heracross) can't do much of anything to Blissey and rarely carries Morning Sun (which is horrible) for recovery allowing Blissey to stall it out. Blissey routinely forces switches on special attackers like Nidoqueen and Chandelure which gives Blissey a chance to set up SR. SR support has been vital for giving Entei and Heracross some crucial OHKOs and 2HKOs. While I don't have a way to discourage Defog or prevent Rapid Spin, which could be a problem, I have been able to set up SR multiple times throughout a match if necessary.

Suicune @ Leftovers
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Rest
    - Roar
    - Scald

This is really the crux of my defensive core because without Suicune setup sweepers would tear through my team. SD Doublade, Agiligross, Curselax, Cloyster, etc. all lack a way to significantly pressure Suicune and are forced out with Roar. Most of them can 4HKO at best even at +2 (of course, since Agiligross can only boost Attack with Meteor Mash, which does pitiful damage, it fairs even worse). Suicune also presents a good emergency check to DD sweepers like Gyarados, Haxorus, Salamence, etc. Suicune is really only threatened by extremely powerful attacks like Guts-boosted Drain Punch from Conkeldurr or Roserade's Leaf Storm (Crobat deals well with both of these, and Blissey can switch into the latter). I often treat Suicune as my wincon, because once these powerful offensive threats are dealt with it's pretty much gg. Scald helps with a lot of physical setup sweepers, wrecking their second chance at sweeping after a Roar.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Taunt
    - Defog
    - Roost

Crobat provides the last piece of my defensive core, providing an emergency check to Mienshao, Conkeldurr, and other powerful Choice-item users who would otherwise make quick work demolishing my team. However, I must be careful not to switch Crobat into a super effective coverage move, as Crobat's early demise will often give these attackers a chance to punch holes in the rest of my team. Defog support keeps rocks off the field, which is important for keeping Entei and Noivern healthy (great due to the number of switches they force). Crobat can also play mind games with Sucker Punch users like Absol and use SP turns to Roost up.

Noivern @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Infiltrator
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Hurricane
    - Flamethrower
    - Switcheroo

Noivern is a bit of a black sheep on this team, as I often find myself unable to use its amazing speed tier for much other than death fodder. However, Switcheroo has been clutch in some situations, turning the tides against a Blissey, Suicune or Milotic that otherwise might have been a bit pesky. However, trying to use this above the lower ladder might be more difficult as more skilled players can generally predict around this. If anyone has any suggestions for a special attacker that would suit this team better, perhaps even providing a better wincon than Suicune, please let me know.

EDIT: Here's a replay

Last edited:
    Back