• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Script] Is it possible to port PokeRed's intro and titlescreen to PokeYellow?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    Almost finished... yeah, said it about 3 times or so... but the intro AND titlescreen in my hack are really messed-up, so I thought it would be easier to port PokeRed's intro and titlescreen to PokeYellow... but can it be done? I remember seeing a thread on Skeetendo (I'm also a member there) of someone claiming they did it, but the dude got banned and his thread was deleted along with his GitHub repository due to total drama that went inappropriate... I was wondering if I could do it. If yes, can someone tell me how? After that I will have to make a custom ''Brown Version'' and ''Yellow Version'' graphics and fit them in the titlescreen, though it's easier said than done...

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    ofc it's definitely possible, anything that's possible to do on a gameboy is possible in the gen 1 disassemblies. the process is probably something like, copying the code and graphics from pokered, finding where pokeyellow loads its intro code and graphics, and loading the ones copied from pokered instead. code related to the intro and title screen is stored in engine/movie/ for both games.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    Thanks! I tried the following (in order) and got several errors

- Delete ''engine\movie\title_yellow.asm'', ''engine\movie\title_rb.asm'' and ''engine\movie\intro_yellow.asm'' as well as removing them from ''main.asm''
    - Copy & pasted ''engine\movie\intro.asm'' and ''engine\movie\title.asm'' from a clean PokeRed repository and replaced PokeYellow's files
    - Imported Pokered's intro sprites into the PokeYellow folder (Nidorino, Jigglypuff and Gengar)
    - Copied Pokered's ''data\pokemon\title_mons.asm'' into PokeYellow and made a bit of changes

Here's the report I get in Cygwin after these steps:

rgbasm -h -L -Weverything -Wnumeric-string=2 -Wtruncation=1 -o main.o main.asm
    rgblink -p 0x00 -w -m pokeyellow.map -n pokeyellow.sym -l layout.link -o pokeyellow.gbc audio.o home.o main.o maps.o ram.o text.o gfx/pics.o gfx/pikachu.o gfx/sprites.o gfx/tilesets.o
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(336): Unknown symbol "MUSIC_INTRO
    _BATTLE"
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(333): Requested BANK() of symbol
    "Music_IntroBattle", which was not found
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(304): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData
    2"
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(299): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData
    2"
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(294): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData
    2"
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(289): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData
    2"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(310): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(61): Requested BANK() of symbol "Ve
    rsion_GFX", which was not found
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(60): Unknown symbol "Version_GFXEnd
    "
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(60): Unknown symbol "Version_GFX"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(59): Unknown symbol "Version_GFXEnd
    "
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(59): Unknown symbol "Version_GFX"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(58): Unknown symbol "Version_GFX"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(57): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(56): Requested BANK() of symbol "Po
    kemonLogoGraphics", which was not found
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(53): Unknown symbol "PokemonLogoGra
    phics"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(52): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(51): Requested BANK() of symbol "Po
    kemonLogoGraphics", which was not found
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(48): Unknown symbol "PokemonLogoGra
    phics"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(47): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(42): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    Linking failed with 21 errors
    make: *** [Makefile:135: pokeyellow.gbc] Error 1

What must I do for ''Unknown Symbols'' so they can get recognized by PokeYellow? I also made a custom Eevee and Pikachu to replace Nidorino and Jigglypuff in the intro, just so you know.

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    each of these "unknown symbols" is where a line of code is referencing something by name and can't find it. e.g. MUSIC_INTRO_BATTLE is defined in constants/music_constants.asm for pokered, but it's not in that file for pokeyellow.

if i were you, i'd look at how each of these things is referenced in the pokered code and try to do it in the same way in pokeyellow's code. i am quite bad at assembly so the specific help i can give is limited!

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    Ok. I'm back from a party. I added ''music_const MUSIC_INTRO_BATTLE Music_IntroBattle'' on line 64 (below the ''music_const MUSIC_GB_PRINTER, Music_GBPrinter'' in ''\constants\music_constants.asm'' in PokeYellow and now I get this -

rgbasm -h -L -Weverything -Wnumeric-string=2 -Wtruncation=1 -o audio.o audio.asm
    error: audio.asm(1) -> constants.asm(33) -> constants/music_constants.asm(64) ->
    constants/music_constants.asm::music_const(5):
    syntax error, unexpected identifier
    error: audio.asm(1) -> constants.asm(33) -> constants/music_constants.asm(64) ->
    constants/music_constants.asm::music_const(5):
    Macro argument '\2' not defined
    error: Assembly aborted (2 errors)!
    make: *** [Makefile:114: audio.o] Error 1

I wonder... what am I doing wrong to port RGB's intro to Yellow?

ellabrella

PKMN Trainer
    Years
    • She/It
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    did you write exactly this?

Code:
    music_const MUSIC_INTRO_BATTLE Music_IntroBattle

looks like you need a comma, like this

Code:
    music_const MUSIC_INTRO_BATTLE, Music_IntroBattle

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    did you write exactly this?

Code:
    music_const MUSIC_INTRO_BATTLE Music_IntroBattle

looks like you need a comma, like this

Code:
    music_const MUSIC_INTRO_BATTLE, Music_IntroBattle

Yes, exactly like that. And sorry for the late reply, there were thunderstorms where I live so the PC had to be shut down.

EDIT - When I tried to compile the PokeYellow project, I got 21 more errors, all of them being in engine\movie\intro.asm and engine\movie\title.asm. Most of them are ''Unknown Symbols'' but I searched in my PokeRed decomp folder for these ''missing symbols'' but no luck...
    Error log:
    rgbasm -h -L -Weverything -Wnumeric-string=2 -Wtruncation=1 -o maps.o maps.asm
    rgblink -p 0x00 -w -m pokeyellow.map -n pokeyellow.sym -l layout.link -o pokeyellow.gbc audio.o home.o main.o maps.o ram.o text.o gfx/pics.o gfx/pikachu.o gfx/sprites.o gfx/tilesets.o
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(336): Unknown symbol "Music_IntroBattle"
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(333): Requested BANK() of symbol "Music_IntroBattle", which was not found
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(304): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(299): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(294): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(184) -> engine/movie/intro.asm(289): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(310): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(61): Requested BANK() of symbol "Version_GFX", which was not found
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(60): Unknown symbol "Version_GFXEnd"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(60): Unknown symbol "Version_GFX"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(59): Unknown symbol "Version_GFXEnd"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(59): Unknown symbol "Version_GFX"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(58): Unknown symbol "Version_GFX"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(57): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(56): Requested BANK() of symbol "PokemonLogoGraphics", which was not found
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(53): Unknown symbol "PokemonLogoGraphics"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(52): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(51): Requested BANK() of symbol "PokemonLogoGraphics", which was not found
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(48): Unknown symbol "PokemonLogoGraphics"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(47): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    error: main.asm(8) -> engine/movie/title.asm(42): Unknown symbol "FarCopyData2"
    Linking failed with 21 errors
    make: *** [Makefile:135: pokeyellow.gbc] Error 1

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    Sorry for double posting, but I managed to get a bit of the Intro working... but it is slightly messed-up. It is the final step of completing my hack. As you can see in the attached files, several problems occur when I compile the project

1 - No copyright intro...
    2 - Black bars are absent at the shooting stars scene.
    3 - Gengar and Nidorino are glitched up.
    4 - Some unwanted pixels shows at the right of the Eevee at the title screen.
    5 - No SFX, plus some weird sounds playing. (Go home, Missingno. You're drunk.)

I've been messing up with both intro.asm AND intro_yellow.asm, but I can't seem to find the solution. By the way, intro.asm is from PokeRed while intro_yellow.asm had ''PlayIntroScene'' removed due to it being a dupe, also found in intro.asm...

Attachments

• Is it possible to port PokeRed's intro and titlescreen to PokeYellow?
      bug1.png
      899 bytes · Views: 0
      bug2.png
      984 bytes · Views: 0
      bug3.png
      2 KB · Views: 0
      bug4.png
      3.5 KB · Views: 1
    Back