• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Battle] How can I add new moves to my firered rom?

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2020
    Ok, so I want to expand the number of moves on my firered rom and edit their animation to an already existing animation in the game or to a costum animation. How can I do that?

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Ok, so I want to expand the number of moves on my firered rom and edit their animation to an already existing animation in the game or to a costum animation. How can I do that?

You can add new attacks with PGE, but make sure to check the delete old data and apply the move hack, (note, it requires repointing so to make it work with othe tools you will need to edit their inis) and for the animations, you can look at the ability resource thread.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having the same problem. Using PGE to add more attacks, even after checking "Apply Move Table Hack" and "Delete Old Data" and editing the .ini has unintended side effects. When actually playtesting the game, every attack will wipe out the opposing Pokemon in one hit, no matter the base power, Atk stat, Def, etc. Basically it turns every damaging move into a one-shot.

Any way to remedy this? I saw an old thread from 2012 that had like 16 steps for adding new attacks but I'm wondering if the hacking scene has figured out a simpler way since then.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    If you insist on binary hacking for this, check out a thing called the Complete Fire Red Upgrade.

It has basically all moves up to about Gen VIII included. Plus it makes making your own super easy.

Alternatively, you could look into the pokefirered decomp which is similar in application to the CFRU at least. Both essentially involve changing a bunch of text files. Once you get your head around the structure, it's actually pretty intuitive to get it to do what you want.

Either way, PGE is a very dated program and not heaps stable.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    If you insist on binary hacking for this, check out a thing called the Complete Fire Red Upgrade.

It has basically all moves up to about Gen VIII included. Plus it makes making your own super easy.

Alternatively, you could look into the pokefirered decomp which is similar in application to the CFRU at least. Both essentially involve changing a bunch of text files. Once you get your head around the structure, it's actually pretty intuitive to get it to do what you want.

Either way, PGE is a very dated program and not heaps stable.

Thanks for the suggestion. As a very amateur hacker, I think installing CFRU and learning how to use fire red decomp is a bit outside my paygrade...
    I just wish there was a convenient tool out there that could expand attack tables. Neither PGE, HexManiac Advance, nor G3T can do it. :s

Oh well. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Thabuffalo

Buffalo
    Years
  • Sup retards, (no its not suppose to be mean i ain't got shit to start with so i started with that)
    Alright if you want to add moves i recommend hex maniac its easy to use and works, you will probably have to use some other editors because it isn't perfect for what i know, you need your own animations as well and you need to edit the text I.e "AAA used a FIRE move" i ran into that text, and i don't know how to fix it myself but i do know that it works

(i dont wanna remove that and i wanted to scrap it so whatever)
    (if this wasn't useful yell at me i don't care)
    Ok, to add a new move use hex maniac simple? you need to (again) make your animation (or reuse one that works too) change name ect.. Now as i said before it does the "AAA used a FIRE move" i don't really know why it does that but i do at the same time, you will need to edit its 'name' i guess which again i don't know how to you will have to find that out yourself

Alright let me actually start showing you how i guess?
    First download hex maniac if you haven't
    Load your rom (ofc)
    SMALL MISTAKE BELOW DO NOT CLICK THAT ONE CLICK THE ONE CALLED "Data.move name" Or something like that not sure what it exactly is called and i am to lazy to get an exact fresh rom and check sorry!
    fretghbgf.PNG

Click this then ..
    scroll to the bottom and select the MOVE THAT ISN'T NAMED SOMETHING FROM THE BACKROOMS I.e "Psycho Boost"
    so i will select that move and press "Add 1" then i will edit its prop's
    So far you're basically done
    Now thats all i can help you with now :)

Last edited:

SIlverstanfan04

A Pokenerd like no other
    Years
    • He/They
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    you can easily add moves using hex maniac advance through utilities > expand > make moves expandable, once that is done you can simply use the "add 1 more" button for the move name and description without hassle!

Back