• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

International List of Names (in .csv)

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
Years
  • I've started a google spreadsheet to list the names in different languages:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Eo6oWs4RA5M4c0r9M8FXJniOyhpmNmrnULabkP8kbL8/edit?usp=sharing

The idea behind this structure is that you type the key into the text field, and when you play test, the text displayed will be that of the respective language.

List of language used:
    • en - English
    • ja - Japanese
    • fr - French
    • de - German
    • es - Spanish
    • it - Italian
    • ko - Korean
    • zh_HK - Chinese (Traditional)
    • zh - Chinese (Simplified)

I'm hoping to record only one of the Chinese and then let the game convert from one to the other, if needed. However, simplified and traditional may not be as interchangeable, so they both need their own columns.

The spreadsheet contains:
    • Pokemon names (in national dex order)
    • List of Forms (listed by gender first followed by national dex associated to the Pokemon. Regional forms are placed by game debut.)
    • Categories (in national dex order)
    • Elemental Types (by game index)
    • Moves (by game index; see here)
    • Abilities (by game index; see here)
    • Natures (alphabetical)
    • Characteristics (arranged by stat then ascending by remainder of 5)
    • Items (following this sorting)
    • Trainer Classes (by generation debut followed by alphabetical; see here)

You can go to File > Download > Comma-separated values (.csv) to export it into your project.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Okay, so far, I've finished the French translation of every type, and every Pokémon names from Gen. 1 and 2 (I saw that your last update was on Jumpluff's names, so I allowed myself to extend the list until Celebi).

NoNoNever

Creator from Pokemon Illuison, Pokemon Arcadia, Po
    Years
  • Ok i did German Pokemon Gen 1 and 2, German Types, german Items

Last edited:
    Years
  • This reference sheet will come in handy to anyone looking to translate games and documentation, good job!
    I'm taking care of the Italian columns.

May I know what ordering are you going by?
    It might be useful to keep it in mind or noted somewhere, especially for Items, Moves and Abilities since there are quite a few entries there.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
    Years
  • ^ Generally, I try to keep them in game index order. However, for item's case, there seems to be differences across generation, so I'm using gen 8 for now. I can't find the ordering for trainer class, though, so there's no official order.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
    Years
  • I have completed the types as well as abilities (en and jp). I've also decided to change the sort order for items and trainer classes:
    • I've found that bulbapedia has a list of items in other languages. I'll follow the sorting there.
    • I've been over-thinking of finding the game index order. In the end, I've decided to follow bulbapedia's list: gen first, then alphabetical.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
    Years
  • I don't think listing locations or character would help as fan games tend to take place in their own unique settings with their own unique set of characters. It's possible that a fan game could reuse them, but I think it'll be best to reserve them in another google sheet file.

Years
  • This is a great idea! Finished Spanish moves and natures, currently working on abilities. I'll to help as much as I can in Spanish.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
    Years
  • I've added characteristics and completed english and japanese. I don't know how to handle the latter as it uses kanji, however. Should I split whether the japanese uses kanji?

Years
  • I can eventually suggest retrieving the texts used in the official 8th generation games. It can save a lot of time instead of manually writing down each item or Pokémon name one by one.
    (on the other hand, Chinese is not included in the international version: they have a separate version due to censorship)

NoNoNever

Creator from Pokemon Illuison, Pokemon Arcadia, Po
    Years
  • wow, i thought there were other germans here who might have moved on... doesn't look like it... then i guess i'll have to take on the german completely alone lol

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
    Years
  • Now I'm at Korean and Chinese Pokémon names and moves. Might finish up German natures after that.

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
    Years
  • ^ The link you've provide me uses simplified Chinese, but bulbapedia has the list that includes all available languages. That said, bulbapedia's move list is incomplete and doesn't cover both Chinese from gen vi onwards, so 52poke's list of moves covers that for me.

Last edited:

BrainWave

A new idea sprouts
    Years
  • Continuing on, 52poke also has the list of trainer classes that aren't included in bulbapedia, namely those that are from games that arn't available in chinese. With 52poke's list, I'm able to complete the Trainer Class sheet.

Back