• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Editing the Move ReLearner

Years
  • Seen Jan 23, 2015
As of now, you can edit the attack table of Pokemon, so you can change the types of moves they learn at different levels.

I am developing my own Emerald hack using the tools that are available (since I know almost nothing about programming, the most I've done is simple hex editing).

One of the ideas of this hack is to edit and expand the attack (level up) table of the 386 Pokemon so that they can learn all breeding/move tutor/special moves as you progress through the game.

Of course, previous illegal egg move combinations will now be available through simple level up, but that's the point of my hack.

I have done this with Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur with Pokemon Editor Professional and it works like a charm.

Since the Pokemon will be learning tons of moves through level up, the Move ReLearner could be of great use if you reconsider learning a move that you already chose not to or already overwrote it. I tested that the Move ReLearner (oddly named Move Tutor) offers the same moves as the original game, so apparently it doesn't read the attack table.

So, any idea if this can be done? Thans.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I tested that the Move ReLearner (oddly named Move Tutor) offers the same moves as the original game, so apparently it doesn't read the attack table.
Yes it does. You simply edit the level up moves it learns at Lv1. That's why every evolved Pokemon has repeat moves in their moveset in the early levels, to make sure most fully evolved Pokemon have 4 moves at Lv1, and have the "extra" moves before all the other moves, so that if it were encountered in the wild it wouldn't have the move, but its still listed internally in the moveset.

In other words, Blaziken learns Fire Punch at Lv1, but if you were to encounter a Lv1 Blaziken, it would not know Fire Punch, because there are at least 4 other Lv1 moves assigned to it.

So to edit the moves in the move relearner, simply edit the Pokemon's moveset with Pokemon Game Editor, and make it learn a move at Lv1.

Back