• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You are what you eat

Years
  • In recent years, the 'health food' wave has picked up steam and become its own industry, generating hundreds of billions of dollars in profits.

In addition to this, rates of obesity, diabetes, cancer, and heart disease are at all time highs in America and much of the western world. Exercize is at a low.

Just how 'healthy' are we? And just how safe is the food we eat? How do we combat bad eating habits and evade deceptively healthy food & products we consume?

Discuss.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    America as a whole isn't really that healthy at all, but everyone in the world knows that already. I honestly find the best way to eat healthier (for me) is to just cut out the bad things you eat or lower how much you eat of those bad things. Which is honestly quite annoying to do when you see most people just eating whatever the heck they want :I.

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • 301718_470244006323070_100000124243368_2014527_360576_n.jpg

Then I must be rainbow noodles!

I dunno, I like to think that I eat healthily. Well, I don't eat /poorly/, but I guess I could drop a few things here and there. Plus, I work out, so it's ok.

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
    Years
  • To be healthy, you don't eat "special food".
    You don't starve yourself either.
    You just eat properly-sized portions and get the correct nutrients; cut out "empty foods" as often as possible (things like mayonnaise, which is mostly fat; excessive amounts of soft drinks, which are empty calories that don't fill you; and artificially-flavoured juices, which are nothing but carbs); take a walk everyday (I honestly don't understand how people avoid getting outside for an hour a day); and just eat real food I guess. I never saw it as something overly difficult to do or involving any special tools. Just have the right balance of fruits, veggies, grains, etc. and consume them in a legitimate way, and you'll be fine.

As for why obesity and heart disease are increasing, I honestly think people are just refusing to take charge of their own lifestyles. It's all easy fixes and panaceae and nothing simple and real like "squeeze a vegetable or two into your meals somewhere".

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    As for why obesity and heart disease are increasing, I honestly think people are just refusing to take charge of their own lifestyles.

One explanation that I could come up with is that the fast-food industry has a lot of people in its choke-hold. Most of the fast food chains equate to the bulk of a person's bad diet, & yet, people still eat this stuff.

It could be that those who rely on this don't have any money to afford anything else, & that it's their only source of sustenance that they can get without having to get themselves on the food stamp program. Something that might sound silly is that it appeals to those who live their lives on the go, & the chain appeals to them, as they can get their food in a reasonable of time (& when I mean reasonable, I mean around 90 seconds or so) & get back on the road. Those kind of people are those who don't have a roof over their head outside of their own cars.

& who knows? Maybe they might be addicted to the fast-food chain. They might be people that can't stop eating even if they tried to. Worse still, the fast-food chain may even be delving into shadier methods, like sprinkling their food with minute amounts of cocaine. I don't know for certain.

But regardless of the situation, the fast-food chain is one of the primary causes, mainly since people can't stop coming to those places on a near constant basis.

Years
  • To be healthy, you don't eat "special food".
    You don't starve yourself either.
    You just eat properly-sized portions and get the correct nutrients; cut out "empty foods" as often as possible (things like mayonnaise, which is mostly fat; excessive amounts of soft drinks, which are empty calories that don't fill you; and artificially-flavoured juices, which are nothing but carbs); take a walk everyday (I honestly don't understand how people avoid getting outside for an hour a day); and just eat real food I guess. I never saw it as something overly difficult to do or involving any special tools. Just have the right balance of fruits, veggies, grains, etc. and consume them in a legitimate way, and you'll be fine.

As for why obesity and heart disease are increasing, I honestly think people are just refusing to take charge of their own lifestyles. It's all easy fixes and panaceae and nothing simple and real like "squeeze a vegetable or two into your meals somewhere".

It's more than just food, too. Everyday products we use can have adverse effects on us later in life. Everything from shampoo and deodorants, to toothpaste and lotions. Parabens, EDTA, the aluminum in anti-perspirants, etc. You'd be surprised just how unhealthy we all really are.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • I think people should focus on eating what makes them feel good, healthy, and they shouldn't be lazy. Like today I was going to have 2 minute noodles because I was hungry and lazy. Some how about 20 minutes later I ended up with a bowl of chickpeas and veggies and some sauce I had made with out following a recipe. I honestly feel much better from that then I usually do from a bowl of two minute noodles. I usually eat lots of veggie or legume dishes for dinner, lots of raw fruit, salad wraps, snack on raw nuts, drink lots of water, work out. The past few weeks I was doing nothing, eating chips, biscuits, unhealthy food and I am now sick for the first time in months, so back to my healthy eating.

And I mainly stay away from fast food places now that I'm vegan, as their aren't many vegan options. Unless I as for meatless and dairy free big macs but I doubt that would taste good haha

Years
  • I eat a mix of things. Some of it organic, natural stuff and some processed. I think I'm moderately healthy. There are just so many things to take into consideration: salt, fat, carbohydrates, sugar, nutrients, vitamins, calories, etc. I can't keep up with it all so I just make rough guesses about what I eat and try to have a good variety of things and get a mix of healthy things.

It's more than just food, too. Everyday products we use can have adverse effects on us later in life. Everything from shampoo and deodorants, to toothpaste and lotions. Parabens, EDTA, the aluminum in anti-perspirants, etc. You'd be surprised just how unhealthy we all really are.
    Don't forget the phthalates in all the plastic things that contain our food and other things. Those things are quite literally everywhere.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • This type of thing isn't only happening in the US it has spread to countries like Mexico (the second country with the highest obesity rate after the US). To be healthy I think we should try to exercise more, chose entertainment that burns more calories (did you know reading books and sleeping burn more calories than watching tv?). Eat adequite for your size, age, and sex.

Years
  • Don't forget the phthalates in all the plastic things that contain our food and other things. Those things are quite literally everywhere.

Yeah, those too. Not to mention all the chemicals in things even so mundane as Tin foil and cleaning solutions. No wonder our cancer rate is so high. We're swimming in toxins every day.

diab_low

All men live, only few exist.
    Years
  • lol My princibal always tells my class and I if u eat like pigs u become pigs. he says this because when we go to school on Saturday (year 12 gotta do extra work for HSC )we always get junk for energy. I guess he's a healthy head lol

Posted from Pokecommunity.com App for Android

Back