• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Midnight Reveries

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2023

Midnight Reveries
    The explosions of fireworks and the sizzles of their descending embers set the midnight sky ablaze during the grand finale of Jubilife's annual celebration. Sylas watched from his bedroom window as misshapen Pokeballs and other iconic Pokemon symbols littered the sky as the time slowly ticked past midnight. The tepid trainer groaned as he threw himself backwards onto his twin-sized mattress. "U g h h ~", he emoted as he covered both of his ears with a pillow: a meek attempt at blocking out the bellowing firecrackers that echoed between the city's high-rises. '2022, is it? It's supposedly a new year… but why does everything still feel the same?'

The celebration had finally come to a close. The majority of the crowd that gathered in the streets had begun to disperse as the time winded deeper into the AM's. Eventually, only a few stragglers remained: the ones that partied well-beyond their means and those which called the streets their home. Sylas was neither a party animal nor was he homeless… for the time being, at least. A small studio in the rough backstreets of Jubilife was his current resting location. The painted walls were extremely chipped and a constant, mysterious *d r i p* could be heard from a nearby leak of unknown origins. The trainer was well-aware his complaints would fall on the landlord's deaf ears, but in spite of how dilapidated his current location might appear to other Sinnohan's, he was honestly elated to finally have a space to call his own.

Wrapped in blankets with a purring fox nuzzled in close made the chilly winter air slightly more bearable. Every so often, Sylas would stroke the length of his partner's body, comforting the Thievul as he slept atop his trainer's torso. Thievul's insulation might not be on the levels which an Arcanine could offer, but their bond more than made up for the Pokemon's absent fire-typing. Memories of their first encounters began to replay in the trainer's mind. At the time, the small Nickit seemed to take pleasure in inducing Sylas with as much strife during his night-shifts at the Pokemart. 'Come to think of it, not much has changed… heh.' In spite of their back-and-forth taunting of one-another, Sylas made sure to toss away just enough leftover food for the Nickit to dine on once his shift had ended. Somehow, that damn fox even found its way to his home.

Sylas' homelife as a teenager was pretty standard. At that point in time, being a Pokemon trainer was reserved for a more privileged class. To the average kid, it was nothing but a fantasy sold by celebrities. 'That's why mom and dad weren't all that thrilled to find a Nickit rummaging through their garbage... To them, wild Pokemon were a nuisance.' In fact, Sylas had inherited their stream of consciousness towards Pokemon as well. Sylas knew all too well that being a trainer was nothing but a pipe dream… or so he thought.

Midnight Reveries
    Fast forward a bit, Sylas would now only appear at the Pokemart to purchase goods every so often as his work contract had expired. The Nickit sightings were sparse as he was no longer to be found at the Pokemart or his house. Slightly disheartened at the absence of his nuisance acquaintance, Sylas brushed it off, figuring the fox had lost interest and moved onto pestering some other soddy teen. It wasn't until a couple days later when he had overheard his parents exclaim how joyous they were that "that filthy red mongrel" had been taken care of by the local Pokemon control. Before jumping to conclusions, "I wonder what they do once they catch such… vermin?" asked the teen. His tongue stung like hell labeling his acquaintance friend as a vermin, but it was necessary if he wished to convince his parents to offer any sort of information they had.

Taking a swig of her wine, "Only Arceus knows," his mother spouted.

"The less loitering strays, the better," added his father. "We can only hope they implement a permanent solution to these wild beasts."

'I'd hardly call a 2 foot fox a "wild beast", but to each their own…' thought the teen. Sylas had heard enough and his feet began to move on autopilot. He escaped his residence to not cause suspicion and quested onwards towards the nearest Pokemon shelter.

It was a short bus ride, but Sylas had finally made it to his destination. He practically ran from the bus stop to the shelter's entrance before pulling himself together for the receptionist. "You see, I…" Sylas stammered as he tried to concoct an excuse. "I left my trainer card at home! Aaand my phone… and also my Pokeballs! But I'm certain my Pokemon is here! You believe me, heh, right?"

The receptionist most certainly didn't believe him. She smacked on a piece of gum, staring deadpan at the teen. "Kid, you do know anyone can go back and look at the Pokemon, right? Not just trainers?" She took a moment to blow a bubble with her gum, then continued. "I don't know what yer schemin, but cut the act."

Sylas grinned as he realized the receptionist was no match for his persuasion. Luckily, she motioned for him to follow and led him back to where the Pokemon were held. Scanning the cages that lined the walls of the shelter, many of the Pokemon were either sickly, elderly, or over-aggressive. Sylas began to worry as they approached near the end, but sighed with relief when he came across a familiar red-coated fox. The Nickit's fur had become slightly matted and he appeared a bit leaner than usual, but the Pokemon's eyes gleamed with gratitude as he peered upon his friend and yelped in jubilation. The worker halted in front of the cage, "I assume this lil one's yers?" she asked as she blew another bubble with her gum. Nickit perfectly executed his part in persuading the worker that he belonged to Sylas. "I see you take after yer 'trainer' in the actin department, don't ya, lil fella?" she said in a teasing sing-song tone as she undid the cage's lock.

Nickit practically lept into Sylas' arms and nuzzled close before realizing this was the closest the pair had ever been. Nickit jumped down and began grooming himself to reclaim his composure, only to soon return to Sylas' side, sitting close by his feet. He did owe the trainer a fair bit of gratitude for claiming him, after all. The scene must have warmed the ladies heart, because she took on a more serious tone from that point onward. "Calls to detain wild Pokemon have been increasing in frequency lately. We're so packed, kid, I'd ask you to take 10 Pokemon if you could." She walked the duo back towards the front of the shelter. Barks and howls could be heard from the aggressive Pokemon as they passed by the full cages while other Pokemon stared silently in grief, having given up hope long ago that someone would eventually free them. As they approached the front, the receptionist dug into a shelf, reaching in and pulling out an empty Pokeball. "Next time they find him, y'all might not be so lucky. I might not be workin' that shift either and you'll have to deal with Suzy. And lemme tell ya," she stated with a pop of her bubblegum, "Suzy's a real bitch." Handing over the Pokeball to Sylas, "Take this," she said. "I know Pokeball's ain't as cheap as they were back in my day, so consider it a gift… And as for repayment," she requested, popping another bubble, "I don't wanna see NEITHER of you round these parts again. Understood, boys?"

Sylas almost felt compelled to salute the woman. She talked in such a stern tone, but had not only relinquished his Nickit to him, but also gifted him a Pokeball!? 'My parents wouldn't be caught dead spending money on such a thing… Instead of saluting, Sylas found tears welling in his eyes. 'Was owning a Pokemon really a commitment I could take on? What if my parents found out? What would they say!? What if…' Sylas thoughts trailed, but then looked down at the Fox Pokemon who was now dusting the teen's shoes with his tail. 'What if something were to happen to him again?' Wiping the tears from his eyes, "You heard the lady," he said. Kneeling in front of the Pokemon, "You could probably find somebody else to play with you and feed you when I'm not around, but they're rounding up Pokemon like you every hour… I don't wanna see you end up here again." A tear escaped the corner of his eye as he felt heartache for every Pokemon in the shelter that was left to rot. Sylas expanded the Pokeball and held it in front of the Nickit. "So either you come with me and we make it work, or you're on your own from here on out!" A harsh ultimatum, but a necessary one. One that had the potential to change both of their lives from that point on.

Nickit looked back at the caged mons. Their eyes were blackened with agony, despair, rage, and envy… but some watched the scene unfold with a newfound light in their eyes. 'Perhaps it might have served as a reminder there was more to life than a dingy cage?' Nickit locked eyes with Sylas, then gazed towards the Pokeball in front of him. The Pokemon had made his decision. Pressing his pointed nose against the center button, a red glow immediately encapsulated the fox which then dissipated into the ball.

One wiggle.

Two wiggles.

Three…

Ding.

And change their life, it did.

Back in the present, the warmth of his blankets and the purring of his Thievul had finally taken their toll on Sylas. No longer could his mind fight to keep him awake any longer. Although he had many other fond memories such as Nickit's evolution, how he ended up in Jubilife, or how he obtained his other Pokemon teammates, reminiscing would have to wait for another night. For now, it was time for him to gain some rest for the new year.

this is just a one-shot i concocted a few nights ago and decided to write. i did a bit of final editing. please let me know if any of the code is messed up or if ive missed any apostrophes lol. reviews are welcomed! i might retcon a few details in the future as i think id like to take the story in a different direction if i were to continue it. i wanted to post something that felt a bit more grounded in reality and didnt focus solely on combat. typically, im a roleplayer (although my posting is sporadic :p), so im not completely unfamiliar with writing fanfiction. i have no formal training in creative writing.

Back