• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help with developing a new rom hack

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    Hi Everyone!

I am new to rom hacking and i would like to make one for the first time. I have seen many tools and roms that could be used as base but i feel lost. I would like to make my rom as less painful as possible. I would like to use Emerald as base. The features that i would like to implement are:
    ->wild pokemon from gen 1-3
    ->put items on the ground (pokeball format), rocks,...
    ->add custom trainers (probably would need to expand the rom)
    ->change trainer's pokemon levels and moves
    ->remove the necessity of the pokemons required to be traded to evolve
    ->being able to access events (deoxys,mew,...)

Any help regarding tools, resources, best approach, or roms to use as base would be helpful

Thanks😁

sylingga

Red Everywhere
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Hi Everyone!

I am new to rom hacking and i would like to make one for the first time. I have seen many tools and roms that could be used as base but i feel lost. I would like to make my rom as less painful as possible. I would like to use Emerald as base. The features that i would like to implement are:
    ->wild pokemon from gen 1-3
    ->put items on the ground (pokeball format), rocks,...
    ->add custom trainers (probably would need to expand the rom)
    ->change trainer's pokemon levels and moves
    ->remove the necessity of the pokemons required to be traded to evolve
    ->being able to access events (deoxys,mew,...)

Any help regarding tools, resources, best approach, or roms to use as base would be helpful

Thanks😁

Well, you can first watch youtube video from Anthroyd.
    -> You can use Advance Map 1.92 to edit wild pokemon in every town
    -> Same, you can use Advance Map 1.92 to put item on the map, BUT need script Editor like XSE
    -> Well , you dont need to expand the rom. just use Advance trainer to change unused trainer, and custom it.
    But if you wanna custom the sprite too, you need (1) Picture editor like Paint or Photoshop, (2) NSE to inject sprite to game and (3) Irfanview to make index sprite
    -> You can change pokemon trainer, level and move with Advance trainer, and you need Free Space Finder (FSF) to repoint the trainer
    -> I forgot what app do you need
    -> You can use Advance map to access events, BUT need to learn about Flag, Var, etc on the pokecommunity.

Someone said to me, making rom hack isnt easy, you need to learn everything to make your own rom hack.

Oh, and there was app called HexManiac Advance (HMA), its like all in one editor apps (except you still need advance map) to make editing more easier

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2022
    Thanks for the help!!! I just said that i would probably need to expand the ROM because i would like to put about 20-30 new trainers (new sprites) and i read somewhere there is a limit to the number of trainers that you can put.

sylingga

Red Everywhere
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Thanks for the help!!! I just said that i would probably need to expand the ROM because i would like to put about 20-30 new trainers (new sprites) and i read somewhere there is a limit to the number of trainers that you can put.

i think you could use unused trainer that already on the game.
    its unused so you can change and replace the sprite to.
    i dont know if you wanna use more than 200 different trainer sprite, but why dont use same trainer sprite for couple same trainer, just change the name and team.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2022
    okay but how do i download it. Everything i see online just says google it its easy to figure out. Ive downloaded multiple files for 1.95, and 1.92 but theyre always just a text document with what i assume is code. I cant find a single piece of information to explain to me what im missing or doing wrong, i cant be the only person out there that doesnt get it.

sylingga

Red Everywhere
    Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    okay but how do i download it. Everything i see online just says google it its easy to figure out. Ive downloaded multiple files for 1.95, and 1.92 but theyre always just a text document with what i assume is code. I cant find a single piece of information to explain to me what im missing or doing wrong, i cant be the only person out there that doesnt get it.

i think you download the wrong link.
    watch out for virus.

You can download from gbatemp[dot]net, hackromtools[dot]info
    (Change dot to "." without quotes)

Back