• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

After-Battle Commentary [Essentials V 19.1]

Years
  • Ever wished the game could acknowledge the player's play style in some capacity ? Acknowledge that the player just swept your important NPC's team without breaking a sweat ? Maybe reward them for that with a rare item ? Or instead call them out for spamming healing items to win ? Have recurring opponents note how much the player's team changed since last time they fought ? Have them comment on how this new addition to the player's team totally made the difference, or how it's strange how their once strongest fighter has left the team ? Cool lil bit of immersion ?

Well, I've made a resource that should help with that. This thing allows you to flag specific trainer battles as registerable, from which a couple scripts store data about how the fight went and check a number of corresponding flags. After the fight ends, the fight checks data it pulled from a new type of PBS file, called npcreactions.txt, and checks if the NPCs you fought have responses corresponding to some of the flags that were raised, and if they do, add them to the dialogues to play out before the event resumes...

... is what I would say, except that the part about a custom PBS file doesn't jive very well with Essentials's plugin format. I can't seem to find updated versions of Marin's utilities/custom compiler for V19 that would bypass this, so instead the code relevant to that got commented out and for now i'm using an additionnal script as a glorified text file that holds what the compiled PBS file should look like so you can get the thing working without needing to edit your scripts file (although you could do it to re-enable the original behavior, though.)

Don't worry, the archive folder contains a detailed documentation that should hopefully address most questions about how to use this resource. I've also included a couple of test files so you have an almost plug-and-play demonstration of the capabilities of the resource.

-Installation instructions
    Spoiler:

-Feature List
    Spoiler:

I hope you guys find a use for this, and more importantly, I'd love to get feedback on this! Do you have interactions I didn't think of you'd love to be able to have the world react to ? Do you have better ways to go on about determining who was the MVP of this fight ? I kept some parts of the logic simpler than it probably should be both A) in order to keep things from being more convoluted than they need to be, and B) because I'm not that experimented with Pokémon Battling and I'd love to hear someone better versed in the matter than I am explain what would be the most efficient/less intrusive way to track what pokémon carried a battle. Also bugfixing ! I've tested the thing pretty extensively myself, but I probably tunneled vision at some point and forgot to think about really obvious things. Also, the PBS-File replacement script didn't exactly get thoroughly tested beyond checking that it didn't crashed the game and could land the expected results.

-Couple of pictures to showcase some simple results of this feature
    Spoiler:

-Credits : Yumil

Last edited:
    Back