• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] A few general questions

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jan 22, 2019
Bugger. I just typed loads out, was basically finished, but I accidently clicked the back button and now I'm starting from scratch, so forgive me if some parts of this seem a little truncated. Just going to give the highlights this time.

I'm trying to put together a little personal enhancement hack for FireRed but my ability level is only slightly above "complete noob." I really like Ultimate Throwback but I also really like the improvements provided by MrDS' base. I like even more the improvements from Leon's base even more but they conflict.

First question; has anyone already done a version of Throwback that works with Leon's base? If not, how difficult would it be for a novice like myself? I considered just using a hex editor to copy and paste all the bytes that are used by Throwback into the biggest empty space in the base that I could, but surely that would mess up it's pointers and stuff right? There's no way that would work. Or am I wrong? I don't even know if them both using the same space is the only reason they're not working. Even if that would work they both implement some of the same features which - even if it's OK to tell the game about running indoors twice and it won't cause a crash - is at the very least inefficient.

If it's beyond my abilities and no one can provide a combined hack themselves I'm going to go back to what I've done as a prototype - UT patched on top of MrDS' base and a few small touches (like using Hex Helper to make HMs deletable and let non-Kanto evolutions work without the national dex). As far as I can tell from testing there aren't any gamebreaking bugs; at least, not ones that don't exist in the base already and I can fix some of those by following the instructions provided on it's page (I already have done with a couple). But my second question is can anyone spot any issues with that? Have you done something similar and encountered a problem or do you know the code off the top of your head well enough that you know something will happen? It's not like I've tried out every move and Pokémon and talked with everyone in the game.

Spoiler:

EDIT: Think I've got the tools working now.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

Last edited:
Back