• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Help with changing how Emerald Title Screen logo assets move/are placed?

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I don't exactly post or comment on these forums often so I don't know if here's the right place to post this.

A while back, Dr. Akimbo put out an update for English Pokémon Vega which updated the patch with some changes from the original Japanese hack and fixed a few bugs. The first thing I noticed and later said on the old Nuzlocke Forum development thread was that the title screen edit I made, which moved "Vega" to the side to match the original Japanese logo, wasn't implemented in that patch. I then asked if it'd be okay for me to insert it myself.
    (Reminder: I'm the guy who made the English Altair/Sirius/Vega logos and also helped with a few English names in those games)

His reply was "Sure, if you do the same for Altair and Sirius."

Inserting a new title screen logo is simple to do in FireRed which Vega uses as the ROM base (It only involves replacing a single image and tilemap as the logo simply "pops" in), but I hadn't looked into doing the same for Emerald (the ROM base for Altair/Sirius).
    JRtrDa6.gif
    2P7CIBG.gif

In Emerald, however, the title screen logo is two separate images that are set to move into place, creating the full "Pokémon Emerald Version" logo. Japanese Emerald and English Emerald have the two images set to move into different places, as both logos are styled differently. The original Japanese Altair and Sirius used Japanese Emerald as the ROM base, so I thought since the English translations are being redone in an English Emerald ROM base that I should look into how to change the logo's movement to reflect the Japanese version.

But then after a while of searching around, I hit a roadblock:
    There's pretty much no research or information on how to do that. (At least from what I was able to find)

And as someone with pretty much no experience in coding and not a whole lot of time or patience set aside for it (been busy with some stuff over in another community), I have absolutely no clue on where to start or what to look for.

That being said, I'd like to ask for someone more experienced with ASM, disassembly, or anything relating to hard-coded things, to look into making this possible.
    I figured this may be a helpful starting point and also maybe be of use for others that may want to look into implementing something like this. I'm mainly looking to set the images' movement paths to be similar to Japanese Emerald's format, though it'd be cool if the possibility to move the images wherever one desired is also a possibility.

b7R2Cl6.png
    38TyPej.png
    lteqVHJ.png

[JP Altair/current EN Altair/Desired result edit]

Image offset notes:
    Spoiler:

From what I've tested, changing where the image is placed in the tilemap doesn't change that image's movement path.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Bumping this thread.

Again, I have no clue on where to look in the ROM for what I'd need for this.

Back