• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Save The Frames! -- Speedrunning Fan Club

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
Years
  • Speedrunning is one of the most interesting gaming topics as of recent years. With the GDQs and the ESA and other types of speedrunning marathons, what's not to love?!

Speedrunning is where the player(s) try to complete the game as fast as possible. This includes abusing glitches, Save-Quit Warps and... going fast. Speedrunning has different categories for many games. An example for the game "Metroid" (NES, 1986) is in the spoiler below. Speedrunning has two main variations: Single-Segment and Segmented.
    Single-Segment is the harder variation as you have to beat the game in one sitting and if you make a mistake that royally messes the runner up, it's a reset back to the start of the game.
    Segmented is easier. The runner saves after they reach the specific area they want to be at. And resume from there. If they mess up, they can just reload their save and begin re-recording from where they saved.
    Segmented can also count as just beating a single level. For example, just beating World 1-1 in Super Mario Bros..
    There is also TAS, which is played on an emulator and uses savestates to get it to be as perfect as possible. By using an emulator, the runner can use a single-frame advancer to move the game one frame at a time and get the "perfect" TAS. TAS is short for tool-assisted speedrun.
    Spoiler:

To sign up for this group, all you have to do is write down your username, preferred speedgame (i.e.: What game you like running / like watching being ran) and answer the current (or a previous) group topic. Like so:

Username: UltraNerdtendo64
    Preferred Speedgame: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid
    Group Topic: I am really hyped for SGDQ2015! I actually looked at the timetable and found out what times everything is being ran at and set a reminder so I know to check out the stream at that time so I can catch the runs..

So let's begin!

Current Topic: Are you hyped for SGDQ2015?

Back