• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ASM & Hex] Move Animation Pointers

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Wanting to replace some moves in Pokemon Emerald. The only thing I'm really unsure about is the animations. For example, If I wanted to put Flare Blitz into the game and give it say the Fire Spin animation, could I just copy and paste the animation pointer from fire spins data and make that the animation pointer for the move I'm replacing? If this is incorrect I would appreciate someone letting me know how to do this the correct way, thanks.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2020
    Wanting to replace some moves in Pokemon Emerald. The only thing I'm really unsure about is the animations. For example, If I wanted to put Flare Blitz into the game and give it say the Fire Spin animation, could I just copy and paste the animation pointer from fire spins data and make that the animation pointer for the move I'm replacing? If this is incorrect I would appreciate someone letting me know how to do this the correct way, thanks.

Yeah you can just use the same pointer. Game editors (PGE, G3T, etc) can do this for you as well by just changing the animation pointer address.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020

Yes, you would just copy the pointer from the move that already has the animation you want, but keep in mind that technically the move you are "replacing" is the slot that already has data, if that's what you're doing. If you're working in a totally new, totally blank move slot, then you're not "replacing" a move, you're just adding one.

Back