• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Audio] [FR] Looking for a Cries patch

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    The title pretty much says it all, but basically the thing I'm trying to do is create some custom species (and include G4+ stuff) and I want to use existing cries as placeholders - for example, one of my species is based on a dog, so I want to use Lucario's cry in place of Unown or Bulbasaur, but of course Lucario wasn't introduced until Gen 4, so its cry isn't already in FireRed.

The patch doesn't need to include all 809 species, just G4 and maybe some Legendaries from other gens, since I can definitely use similar-sounding others as placeholders. I just on't want to have everything that's not explicitly available in G3 to use Unown or Bulbasaur, with a slightly expanded pool of options. I'm not looking for a patch that includes those Pokémon (any extra species I will add myself, since I'm going to be making it possible to get everything that's coded in and I don't feel like adding in over 450 species + my custom ones + forms), just a few extra cries from generations after 3.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Can't you just insert the cry you want to use into the rom? you don't need a patch...

the ?? slots don't seem to like having their cries changed, so I was hoping there was a patch that simply added the sounds, so I could swap out the pointers on the ?? cries for the ones I wanted to replace them with. I *could* expand the Pokémon, but then I'd have to reconstruct the INI for the other 4 or 5 tools I use. For the time being it's just easier to edit the ?? slots. even if I did expand the number of slots I'd have to work around trying to edit the new slots' cries without screwing up Bulbasaur. There's also a chance I'm just incredibly dumb on this topic and don't know what I'm talking about

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    the ?? slots don't seem to like having their cries changed, so I was hoping there was a patch that simply added the sounds, so I could swap out the pointers on the ?? cries for the ones I wanted to replace them with. I *could* expand the Pokémon, but then I'd have to reconstruct the INI for the other 4 or 5 tools I use. For the time being it's just easier to edit the ?? slots. even if I did expand the number of slots I'd have to work around trying to edit the new slots' cries without screwing up Bulbasaur. There's also a chance I'm just incredibly dumb on this topic and don't know what I'm talking about
    Yeah those cries are a real gray area from what I've heard. But what I was saying is that you could attempt the same thing even by just inserting the particular cry you want to use in your rom, then repointing the cry of the ??? slots to where you inserted your new one. Again I'm no expert, just an idea.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Yeah those cries are a real gray area from what I've heard. But what I was saying is that you could attempt the same thing even by just inserting the particular cry you want to use in your rom, then repointing the cry of the ??? slots to where you inserted your new one. Again I'm no expert, just an idea.

That actually makes sense, but I have no clue how I'd get the sounds into the ROM without replacing an existing cry...

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Clarification: I'm fine repointing where needed, I can figure that out when necessary, I just need to be able to easily insert the audio file without overwriting anything. All tools I've seen so far are either Sappy (which I can't wrap my head around aside from just playing back music) or something that can only overwrite existing data, instead of using free space.

Back