• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tool] Where the hell is any sprite editor?

Years
  • For the life of me, I cannot find a sprite editor that actually works. OWE is giving me this "error 9" crap, and I can't find any information about it online, and NSE is just giving me an unknown error. Wherever I get them from, same thing. Does literally no one make ROM hacks anymore because it's literally impossible?! Where do I actually get a working version of one of them?! It's pissing me off!

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
  • For the life of me, I cannot find a sprite editor that actually works. OWE is giving me this "error 9" crap, and I can't find any information about it online, and NSE is just giving me an unknown error. Wherever I get them from, same thing. Does literally no one make ROM hacks anymore because it's literally impossible?! Where do I actually get a working version of one of them?! It's pissing me off!

Can you tell us which OS you are using and include some screenshots of the error messages.

Years
  • Can you tell us which OS you are using and include some screenshots of the error messages.

I figured it out. It's because I wasn't using the correction version of FireRed. At least for OWE, I've deleted NSE, and hopefully, it doesn't have specific features that I'll need it for. It's also difficult finding FireRed since Nintendo took it off of the official, trustworthy sites. I don't need any more help on this front. I completely suck at ROM hacking so I'll probably be posting other questions elsewhere for help with problems, but everyone always just links me to a long, vague tutorial that I have to sift through to find what I need to know, so I don't know why I'm bothering. And they're all rude to me, but the moment I'm the same way, the admins swoop in and get all pissy.

Have a nice day! ^_^'

Sefuree

Canada Goose
    Years
  • I completely suck at ROM hacking so I'll probably be posting other questions elsewhere for help with problems, but everyone always just links me to a long, vague tutorial that I have to sift through to find what I need to know, so I don't know why I'm bothering. And they're all rude to me, but the moment I'm the same way, the admins swoop in and get all pissy.

That may be true, but it isn't anybody else's job to teach you how to ROM Hack. Anyone helping you learn hacking is doing it in their spare time, so you should feel lucky that people spend a few minutes looking up tutorials for whatever you need help with at all. Reading long/bad/outdated tutorials is just the way learning some of the basics and more complicated things works.

And if you don't wanna read tutorials, there is a 20+ video series which teaches you a lot of ROM hacking. Here's the link for the playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgI35RdZvq4&list=PLfI5DBI4tNyLBYGNhf1Ee8cgdmMtiilps

EDIT: Barrie is my city [👌]

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    Who's looking things up? Every time I've ever had a problem, most of the time they just mention the exact same tutorial. Occasionally someone will actually help me, but most of the time people just act like I'm a moron, and are rude. Admins included.

To be fair, you're acting kind of aggressive.

Honestly, the only programs you should be using for sprite editing are Photoshop (to make the image), UNLZ-GBA (to add the image), and NSE (to make small edits directly or change palettes).

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen May 5, 2023
    To be fair, you're acting kind of aggressive.

Honestly, the only programs you should be using for sprite editing are Photoshop (to make the image), UNLZ-GBA (to add the image), and NSE (to make small edits directly or change palettes).

and OWM...it's better than OWE and NSE 1.75.

Back