• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A few questiongs a a Game Dev Newb...

Psychic Nick

Ready to bend to my will?...
Years
  • Alright, Im a total newb at using message boards for htis kinda thing, so Im goign to start asking questions. Its the first step in geting the answer after all.

Starter Kits?- I think I understand what these are. Efectivly a kit that comes with thigns to help you get going, such as scripting or what not, but I would like some one to actualy confirm this.

RPG Maker XP- Im useing this, a friend got my a coppy for my birth day, came over, and put it on my computer while I was asleep as a saprise. I curse him for this, becouse he got it off the web and didnt get a how to guide on it for me to. So Im learning how to crawl befor I walk. Most ofthe RMXP guides out there are dead links it seems.

Battle/Capture systems?- The two things that any pokemon game HAS to have. The Pokedex isnt that hard I dont think. I figure just set it up so that when you catch one, you unlock the page with an even trigger. Barrys are good, but optional, its the B&C systems that you realy need. And frankly, as a novice, looking at a posibal wall of script, I wet my pants. Any segjestions?

Surfing?- Ive been reading up tha past cupple of days and surfing appears to be a big problem. Ive found one thread that seems to have a fix for it (its save around here some where and Ill post it later when Im on my lap top) but it still seems to be a problem.

Dive?- Upon thinking about it, Dive makes Surf look like a walk in the park.

Breeding?- I can see this as another optional. If it dosent make it into our first game it will be in the secant. I just dont want to go over board all in one go here.

Thats all I can think of at the momant, I have a list back at home thats got some more on there but this is whats in my brain at the momant. I could try and recrute a programer or two, but as Im a newb I dont expect to get much of a responce on that front...

Well, thanks for reading this and any advice you can give would be welcomed. ALOT. lol Thanks.

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
  • RPG max , huh.

Well, I use sphere, its a great game creating program thats really easy to get started on. You may want to check Spere out as well. Heres the link.
    http://www.spheredev.org/wiki/Getting_started

This is the official website of sphere, they also have a forum where you can get a lot of help if you have any problems down the road.

But back to RPG maker.
    Now, I have never used it before, in my opinion, it doesn't seem that good, but I have never used it, so don't take my word for it.

So, all I can offer I guess is just to try out Sphere.

Good luck! ^_^

Glitchfinder

Let's all get along, please?
    Years
  • Alright, Im a total newb at using message boards for htis kinda thing, so Im goign to start asking questions. Its the first step in geting the answer after all.

Starter Kits?- I think I understand what these are. Efectivly a kit that comes with thigns to help you get going, such as scripting or what not, but I would like some one to actualy confirm this.

Starter kits are meant to be helpful, but no one's ever finished one, so they are just a pain.

RPG Maker XP- Im useing this, a friend got my a coppy for my birth day, came over, and put it on my computer while I was asleep as a saprise. I curse him for this, becouse he got it off the web and didnt get a how to guide on it for me to. So Im learning how to crawl befor I walk. Most ofthe RMXP guides out there are dead links it seems.

Well, just experiment, and you'll eventually figure it out. If you need scripting help, go to www.rmxp.org, but don't expect them to do it for you.

Battle/Capture systems?- The two things that any pokemon game HAS to have. The Pokedex isnt that hard I dont think. I figure just set it up so that when you catch one, you unlock the page with an even trigger. Barrys are good, but optional, its the B&C systems that you realy need. And frankly, as a novice, looking at a posibal wall of script, I wet my pants. Any segjestions?

Well, they are definitely walls of script. That is why I've never seen a finished RPGXP pokemon game. I suggest you don't start with Pokemon, but actually start with something much simpler.

Surfing?- Ive been reading up tha past cupple of days and surfing appears to be a big problem. Ive found one thread that seems to have a fix for it (its save around here some where and Ill post it later when Im on my lap top) but it still seems to be a problem.

Well, as you said, surfing does seem hard, but it's actually quite easy compared to other things in Pokemon.

Dive?- Upon thinking about it, Dive makes Surf look like a walk in the park.

Once again, you are kind of right. Still, all you have to do is use a script that modifies specific terrain. You can get help for that at the site I mentioned earlier.

Breeding?- I can see this as another optional. If it dosent make it into our first game it will be in the secant. I just dont want to go over board all in one go here.

Well, breeding has become a Pokemon staple. I think that by now it certainly is required. Once again, this is a walk in the park compared to the battle/capture systems, but I would wait before making a Pokemon game.

Thats all I can think of at the momant, I have a list back at home thats got some more on there but this is whats in my brain at the momant. I could try and recrute a programer or two, but as Im a newb I dont expect to get much of a responce on that front...

Well, thanks for reading this and any advice you can give would be welcomed. ALOT. lol Thanks.

Also, I just suggest that you experiment, maybe try making a couple short, easier to make games before taking on a huge project like that. Also, if you just look around, there's all sorts of other stuff you could do. One thing that I have to say is that RPG Maker XP takes a while to learn, but it is well worth your while. Oh, and if you do learn to script, than you can do a lot more than the average builder. Also, try to keep your spelling a little better. That's why they have a spell check, after all.

Psychic Nick

Ready to bend to my will?...
    Years
  • Thanks, Ive been makeing afew games for the past week to catch the hang of it, and Im readin up on the how to script bits. (My heas is going to exsplode soon, so I have the ducktape handy!) And the starter kit thing... Its basicly Big Foot!

Any way, thanks, And as for the spelling, << For games or storys or guides I write, I run it through Microsoft Word, and then to make sure it didnt scrue me, I have my minions do it to. Yes, I have minions. -whispers- They think theyre makeing money, but I realy pay thim in green toilet paper. Dont tell the unions...

Back