• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon FireRed VX: Vanilla Expanded

Lord Pent

Vanilla Expanded hacks creator
Years
  • Pokemon FireRed VX is the result of seeing so many FireRed enhancement hacks which change so much that, at best you might as well not be playing Gen 3 anymore, and at worst you may as well not be playing FireRed anymore. You can still play old gens on Showdown because they have a unique value to them too. The point of this hack is to add significantly more content in replayability while maintaining the core of the base game and Gen 3 as a whole.

FireRed VX features:
    - All 149 original Pokemon from both FireRed and LeafGreen
    - 130 new Pokemon, about 2/3 added based on their locations in Gens 1, 2, and 4; and the remaining 1/3 added based on my own logic and personal preference
    - Regular opponents and bosses which use new and old Pokemon alike
    - All necessary items to evolve into new Pokemon (use VBAlink!)
    - All TMs which were previously postgame-exclusive, giving viability to Pokemon that depend on them
    - A complete database of all noteworthy changes, including a new Pokemon list, encounter rates per area, boss teams, and new items

FireRed VX specifically does NOT feature:
    - Pokemon new to Gen 3
    - Moves new to Gen 3
    - Items new to Gen 3
    - The modern physical-special split
    - The Fairy type
    - Other excessive changes of any kind!

Trailer: https://youtu.be/bUlGGBxC2X0

Downloads
    FireRed VX (v1.0.4)
    All versions
    Patcher

Hack Tools used for FireRed VX made by:
    LU-HO
    Scizz/Tauwasser
    HackMew
    LocksmithArmy
    esperance
    HopelessFrench
    Dabomstew
    Diegoisawesome

Screenshots
    hAf72fK.png
    mxBJydw.png

Reply with your problem if you have any trouble

If you stream, let's play, or do any kind of public playthrough of FireRed VX, please show me! I am always happy to see how people play my hacks!

Check out my other hacks if you like the Vanilla Expanded concept:
    Pokemon Platinum VX
    Pokemon HeartGold VX

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Two questions:

Any revamped trainers beside gym leaders, e4 and giovanni?
    This doesn't have all 386 pokemon available right?

Lord Pent

Years
  • Two questions:

Any revamped trainers beside gym leaders, e4 and giovanni?
    This doesn't have all 386 pokemon available right?

Generic trainers throughout the game use new Pokemon too. Aside from just a few Pokemon, they will all be in your Pokedex as "seen" by the end if you fight every trainer. No generic trainers are listed in the database though.
    Not every Pokemon in Gen 3 data can be found in FireRed VX. The total is 279, not counting what is in postgame. (No new Pokemon are exclusive to postgame.)

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Generic trainers throughout the game use new Pokemon too. Aside from just a few Pokemon, they will all be in your Pokedex as "seen" by the end if you fight every trainer. No generic trainers are listed in the database though.
    Not every Pokemon in Gen 3 data can be found in FireRed VX. The total is 279, not counting what is in postgame. (No new Pokemon are exclusive to postgame.)

And have you thought on making a 386 version? Maybe with one encounter legendaries to make it a bit more complete? Because I absolutely love the enhancentment aspect without turning FRLG into a 8th gen demake. But at the same time, I love to have every gen3 pokemon available.

i'm sorry if this feels a little entitled, it's not my intention by any means

Lord Pent

Years
  • And have you thought on making a 386 version? Maybe with one encounter legendaries to make it a bit more complete? Because I absolutely love the enhancentment aspect without turning FRLG into a 8th gen demake. But at the same time, I love to have every gen3 pokemon available.

i'm sorry if this feels a little entitled, it's not my intention by any means

No, I'm afraid that was never my goal. The main reason I wouldn't do that is that the areas in FireRed VX as it is are already as crowded as they can get before everything has to have a tiny encounter rate. In fact, I had to cut a few of the more redundant Pokemon to bring up encounter rates for others in certain areas. Thanks for the appreciation of the concept though.

Back