• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon: Collapse of Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    You know what Pokemon needs? Time travel plots, of course. What doesn't need time travel plots? I feel it is my civil duty to the world to create a Pokemon hack with time travel. Also, can you imagine? Fossil Pokemon in the WILD, guys. That's actually where this idea came from (I was just thinking a prehistoric only hack) but this is much cooler.

The basic plot of this game is that I haven't made a plot yet. As of now, the player is an explorer hired by Birch to investigate the time warp. The warp can only be accessed with keys, by the way. There are an indeterminate number of keys (which double as Pokedexes) which allow entry into the time warp. Now, that doesn't mean you can't go to certain time periods without a key. It just means you can't time travel at all without it, and in hindsight, that's kind of a lot like Chrono Trigger. But you know, I can't quite let everyone who wants to time travel in the story do what they please. That would be silly.

Unfortunately, some kid happens to have stolen all of the keys from Birch except for two. Actually, it might not end up being two. The plot will be set up in depth later, but your call to adventure will be the retrieval of the remaining keys. No, it's not a "get the seven magical star keys and defeat the crazy kid" deal. There'll actually be a plot, and I have some later elements fleshed out. Still, plot isn't the issue right now. What I'm here to thrive on is concept!

This hack will revolve around six time periods:
    1. The Stone Age
    2. The Ice Age
    3. The Age of Ancient Civilizations
    4. The Renaissance
    5. War (Primarily based off of World War 2, but not meant to be any specific war.)
    6. The Future (More specifics later)

Those are just the main time periods, though. The present exists, and I'm not even going to pretend that the beginning/end of time won't appear in this hack. They're too cool not to have, really. Pokemon has too much "creation of the universe" lore around it for me not play with.

Region:
    Spoiler:

How the sequence of events will work in this hack:
    Spoiler:

Now that the wordy parts are out of the way... lists!

Various changes:
    Spoiler:

Questions that I expect to be frequently asked:
    Spoiler:

Questions people have asked that I don't want you to ask again:
    Spoiler:

Known Bugs:
    Spoiler:

I've finished all of the mapping for the first beta. (I'm still a ways away from releasing that, though, because I have to design what Pokemon show up where, every single trainer, design all the text, and script everything. So it takes a really long time. Here are your screenshots, though!
    Spoiler:

More screenshots will come later. Feel free to criticize things you see, because I want to create an excellent result out of this hack.

Also, there's one aspect of this hack I need help with. I have no experience spriting whatsoever, and this hack will require quite a bit of spriting. Contact me if you're interested and still good at spriting! Seriously. Spriters would make me very happy.

Last edited:

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
    Years
  • This hack has potential. It may need some new tiles though since the story is well thought of. I really like the concept of Time Traveling. 4th and 5th Gen. Pokemon might come in handy for an advanced timed hack. For the first screen, it really looks. weird. the stairs don't collab with the path. The mapping could use work. Especially Propaganda Peak. It has so little space for the player to walk on. Thats all ^.^

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen today
    NO.
    NO.
    NO.

This hack does NOT need new tiles to "make it perfect."

Firstly, you need to address the numerous tile errors strewn all over the place.

Second, you need to work on your mapping skills; having diagonal pathways is fine in a game with an analog stick, but are a pain in the ass with a d-pad. Not to mention, they don't work well with a grid-based game. Other than that, many things are too plain, too random, or just ridiculous. I'm not talking about the recolored areas, either.

Third, it doesn't look like you've really begun scripting the story yet. That should definitely come before custom tiles. In fact, it's the most important thing in the game. It is the game.

PLEASE don't listen to those who say "oh just add new tiles it'll be great," unless you want to work for EA Sports making Madden '34 when you grow up. Really. New tiles are good, but shouldn't at all be a priority, especially this early on.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
    Years
  • Glad to see a new hack up and this one seems to have a really cool concept to it. I'd really like to see some scripted events in your next update though. Goodluck.

blazerj13

Impossibly Possible~
    Years
  • oh my Arceus, slike, another good idea! i hope i get the privilage of playing it soon! also, if you want fakemon for this hack, i can make them, ive been getting really into spriting lately!

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2014
    I read the whole thread, engrossed in the story, it's an amazing idea...

I have a few suggestions for improvement..:)

Tiles aren't important as far as I'm concerned. What's concerning is the mapping. The first few screenies show a lot of open space. This isn't a BAD thing per se, but it should be shaken up a bit, like more naturally placed, and if one spot has a lot of space, maybe the next spot...not so much. This way the game has balance. There are a few tile errors too, which could easily be fixed.

Secondly, I would advise staying away from ice puzzles "one sixth of the game" as you say. Trust me, after the second one, I think I can speak for everybody that we'd all be a little pissed. Ice cave in Crystal version made me want to rip my hair out. So if you need suggestions for puzzles in the ice place, maybe you could do one involving pushing the boulders through the cracks in the ice, or make up your own like having to freeze a waterfall (since not all water during the ice age was frozen) so that the running water will stop and that'll cause something else to stop...I dont know, but I know you can me more creative than that (I mean, just look at the story!, creativity to the extreme).

I am really impressed with the ideas though, and if you need any help just VM or PM me.

Digidestined123

Hacker in training
    Years
  • Wow, this hack looks great! This is a really original idea for a hack. I think the only other Pokemon game that lets you go through time for a long period of time is an official one, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. And that was a side game. But I love this idea! Will you be adding the new evolutions of Yanma, Magmar, Piloswine, Electabuzz, Dusclops, ect?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Alright, criticism! And questions, too!

First, I'll hit what looks like the biggest issue: Propaganda Peak. Too limited in space? Well, that's not too hard to fix, but I also want the area to look unnatural and jagged. Fortunately, I already had an idea for the future: Special water that the player can walk on!

This is what the map looks like with this water:
    Spoiler:

Red water fixes the space issue, while also keeping things odd looking. I also like this concept for a few bonus reasons:
    -It allows water Pokemon to be obtained without fishing or surfing.
    -It allows for waterfall to enter the game before surf.

The various signs on the route will explain how red water works in scientific terms, because it's the future and I can handwave anything I want with science. The general idea is that forces will disrupt the surface of the water, so Pokemon battles, steps, waterfalls, and waves will all create blue water. Thus, waterfalls can be climbed without surf. (This may produce issues, such as causing the player to act as if they're surfing after riding up the waterfall. If this is the case, the waterfalls will also be red and you will be able to ride the mach bike up them.)

This presents an issue of too much space, but I'm short on time and can't fix that at the moment. This will likely be fixed later, as the map is fairly uninteresting at the moment.

I'd like to know specifically what makes some of these maps poor. Here are things I've noticed, so we can add to the list:
    1. Propaganda Peak is now too spacious, with no real obstacles.
    2. One of the tiles in Leveled Land is missing grass.
    3. Festive Farm just kind of looks like a mess of grass with rows of organized trees.
    4. Prehistoric Path is too spacious.
    5.The stairs don't connect with the ground very well.

Also, I'll reply individually to things I haven't covered:

Spoiler:

I get too in-depth when I reply to things.

PokemonMasters

Always Remember Forever&After
    Years
  • Alright, criticism! And questions, too!

First, I'll hit what looks like the biggest issue: Propaganda Peak. Too limited in space? Well, that's not too hard to fix, but I also want the area to look unnatural and jagged. Fortunately, I already had an idea for the future: Special water that the player can walk on!

Spoiler:

Red water fixes the space issue, while also keeping things odd looking. I also like this concept for a few bonus reasons:

The various signs on the route will explain how red water works in scientific terms, because it's the future and I can handwave anything I want with science. The general idea is that forces will disrupt the surface of the water, so Pokemon battles, steps, waterfalls, and waves will all create blue water. Thus, waterfalls can be climbed without surf. (This may produce issues, such as causing the player to act as if they're surfing after riding up the waterfall. If this is the case, the waterfalls will also be red and you will be able to ride the mach bike up them.)

This presents an issue of too much space, but I'm short on time and can't fix that at the moment. This will likely be fixed later, as the map is fairly uninteresting at the moment.

I'd like to know specifically what makes some of these maps poor. Here are things I've noticed, so we can add to the list:
    1. Propaganda Peak is now too spacious, with no real obstacles.
    2. One of the tiles in Leveled Land is missing grass.
    3. Festive Farm just kind of looks like a mess of grass with rows of organized trees.
    4. Prehistoric Path is too spacious.
    5.The stairs don't connect with the ground very well.

Also, I'll reply individually to things I haven't covered:

Spoiler:

I get too in-depth when I reply to things.
    I dont mean replacing every single tile. I just mean change some. Like the odd looking stair entrance. Anyways. Goodluck! ^.^

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I'm excited for this one, it has a lot of potential!
    Also, would LOVE to see 4th and 5th gen Pokemon in this hack.

socko

[i]VERY ANGER!!![/i]
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen May 18, 2020
    To be honest, sometimes you need to make things Eye-Candylicious, so even a simple rom base will be appreciated. There aren't many out there but I have seen a few and they were great. I like the concept of walking on water alot. And I do think your diagonal thingy needs more space because it can get frustrating to keep banging into walls like entering a cave that require flash. But since when has annoying people with dumb HMs like Flash in caves been not part of the memorable part of Pokemon hacks from the first gen? :)

PokemonGiratinaX

2015 Edition.
    Years
  • Alright, criticism! And questions, too!

Spoiler:

Woah! Glad to see that you changed the colour of the water. It looks perfect now.

kebbles

Rom Hacker.
    Years
  • Jeez the red hurts my eyes, i dont get it what is it? Red water, i dont like the idea of walking on water and i dont care who disagrees with me. Great story though i really like the idea and imagination put into it. Like alot of others have said, to make this hack blend nicely together it needs some new tiles to match that wicked storyline. Good luck slike

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2020
    Love the idea. I just wanna make one suggestion figuring you were looking at the prehistoric pokemon. If you can, take into consideration the whole backstory of Genesect, supposedly it was a prehistoric pokemon, modified by Team Plasma. Maybe a pre-modification genesect would be cool!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • So we're walking on water? Everyone loves Jesus... o.O

Wow, this hack looks great! This is a really original idea for a hack. I think the only other Pokemon game that lets you go through time for a long period of time is an official one, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. And that was a side game. But I love this idea! Will you be adding the new evolutions of Yanma, Magmar, Piloswine, Electabuzz, Dusclops, ect?
    Also PMD Time and Darkness as those are pre-Sky versions ;)

DaleFails

Pokémon: Giovanni Origins developer
    Years
    • Seen today
    Wow, that's a very in depth story!

However, the Passage of Time looks far too bland and awful. You could make it a bit more lively and more like a paradise. A paradise with several different grand portals to these different time periods. The potential there is unbelievable, you should exploit it to the full!

I love the decisions youve made with regards to which tilesets you used, eyt I believe your mapping is something to be improved a little.

Hopefully these will come with time, but yes, outstanding idea and storyline, I was gonna do a time travel based hack once!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back