• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphic✓] Some images have two data pointers. How do I stitch them together?

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    Hello. While I was doing some research on first person area images I ran into some pointers. There is data for pointers to image data, but there are three. The third pointer is the palette data (compressed 16 color). However, there are two pointers for image data (again, both Lz77 compressed). Here is an export of the first image data:

Spoiler:

and here is the second:

Spoiler:

They appear to be two parts of the same image. One is extremely stretched out and the other is in a grid fashion. I assume it is in some format Nameless cannot understand. Does anyone know how to splice these images together? What's going on here? How can I take an image and turn it into two in this fashion?

If you're curious to know the image is the one that appears when you enter viridian forest.

EDIT: I think it has something to do with tilesets... any ideas?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    The first image is a tileset and the second "image" is a tilemap (it should be saved as a raw file, not an image). The tileset is just a collection of unique 8x8 tiles used in the graphic (repeated tiles are removed to save space). The tilemap basically tells the ROM how to put the tileset together in a way that makes the full graphic.

Think of it like this; The tileset is a like a puzzle that hasn't been put together. The tilemap is the person that puts the puzzle together.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    The first image is a tileset and the second "image" is a tilemap (it should be saved as a raw file, not an image).

Thanks!

It would appear that first person area images are rendered like title screens and battle backgrounds. This will help a lot with my research.

Back