• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Announcing a Gen III Romhacking Video Tutorial Series for Beginners

TeamAqua

Completely Normal Grunt
Years
    • Online now
    Announcement Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z43aXR5GzcY

As most of the people here know, Gen III Romhacking has never been easier to get into than now because of the decomps. I wanted to show more people how simple things are now with the decomps, so I made this tutorial series.

Now I would like to add some disclaimers. First, my audio at the start of the series was a little shoddy. I was still figuring out recording my voice so some of those early videos have audio that gets kind of robotic at times. All the more recent videos have much better audio. Second, I am not a romhacking genius. I make multiple mistakes throughout my videos because of the speed and amount of which I am speaking, also just because of my own personal misconceptions of how the decomps work. Make sure to read the pinned comments as I will always update if I make a mistake in a video. Like for example in the end of the first video [0.0], at the time I misunderstood what a command did and while the mistake is inconsequential to the user, its still misinformation which I corrected in a pinned comment. Third, a couple of my videos are potentially redundant with the existence of text tutorials, and at multiple times I say that it might be better to follow along with them instead, this isn't necessarily to knock my tutorials but more that some things are just more concise in text; I covered them in video format anyway just because I wanted to be comprehensive (my adding new Pokemon video is a good example of this). Most things are obviously covered here on pokecommunity and on discord, but the point of this tutorial series is to provide it in a new medium that's more accessible to visual and auditory learners.

Lastly, I would just like to thank everyone who has ever been involved in the decomp scene for pushing us this far. Everyone in pret, everyone at rhh, everyone who wrote a text tutorial on the here or on the wiki. I stand on the shoulders of giants. They are the real heroes here at the end of the day, my goal is simply just to further help foster development in the scene and reach a broader audience than the text tutorials are able to. Because romhacks are awesome, and the more people working on new ones today, means more awesome romhacks in the future.

If you have any direct questions about a video topic and want help, I have created a Discord for the tutorial series as to not cloud the pret discord with questions related to my videos, it is currently empty with no activity but feel free to ask any questions, here is the invite: https://discord.gg/hX3a63RYzZ

Tutorial Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0H_22K9f9Q&list=PLLNv9Lq6kDmTIYfN5NvgQRvfOHTOXl0uU

Back