• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music What is the 'best' bass guitar for a beginner

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
Trying to figure out what the best bass guitar to buy is as I am a beginner.
Does anyone have a recommendation as to what brand/model I should buy?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I'm not musician, but I'd probably pick up something on the cheaper end to start.

How good are you right now? If you still need some practice, definitely go with something cheap for now. See if you really want to pursue it more and let that one take the hits too.

Can't say I know much for brand names, but I'd use Google. And I'd also be wary of sites of Ebay and any of the listings situated in China.

There's inexpensive and then there's.... cheap. Be on guard if you're buying online.

I'd actually recommend going to a music store and talking to someone and have them toss you recommendations for lesser cost stuff, etc.

Good luck!

Years
Trying to figure out what the best bass guitar to buy is as I am a beginner.
Does anyone have a recommendation as to what brand/model I should buy?

That's the best advice really, go to a music store. Find one which is comfortable for your size. Usually staff in those places are helpful and know what they're talking about. When I bought a guitar I asked a staff member to give us a little concert with a couple of different guitars so I could choose based on how they sound in the hands of somebody competent.

Whilst they don't really do 'beginner' guitars you can certainly get solid ones for the lower price point, you obviously don't want to go in too deep considering most people pack up learning within the first 6 months.

You might already know this but I will say that a lot of the cheaper guitars come with crap amps, as soon as you're serious about learning you'll probably need to upgrade.

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
That's the best advice really, go to a music store. Find one which is comfortable for your size. Usually staff in those places are helpful and know what they're talking about. When I bought a guitar I asked a staff member to give us a little concert with a couple of different guitars so I could choose based on how they sound in the hands of somebody competent.

Whilst they don't really do 'beginner' guitars you can certainly get solid ones for the lower price point, you obviously don't want to go in too deep considering most people pack up learning within the first 6 months.

You might already know this but I will say that a lot of the cheaper guitars come with crap amps, as soon as you're serious about learning you'll probably need to upgrade.

Totally agree. I don't want to waste money on a bass when I may give up within 6 months. On the other hand, I shouldn't waste money on a bass that is of terrible quality.
From what I've been told, getting a musicians second hand bass is the easiest way to go. If I follow through with that advice, I could end up with a good bass for cheap.

Back