• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Scripting Question] Ability Contrary crashes the game

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2020
    In a battle in my game the opponent has an inkay with contrary, i tested against him arcanine but the game crashes

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    You're gonna have to post the whole error message to have any hopes of getting help.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2020
    so this is the error message:
    Code:
    ---------------------------
    Pokemon G
    ---------------------------
    Exception: RuntimeError

Message: Script error within event 3, map 36 (Tetto Arceus Re):

Exception: NameError

Message: Section077:1016:in `pbReduceAttackStatStageIntimidate'undefined local variable or method `attacker' for #<PokeBattle_Battler:0xc2dfb50>

***Full script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Misty,"Pseudo",_I("Acc..."),false,0,false)

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

PokeBattle_Battler:1160:in `pbAbilitiesOnSwitchIn'

PokeBattle_Battler:1158:in `each'

PokeBattle_Battler:1158:in `pbAbilitiesOnSwitchIn'

PokeBattle_Battle:2362:in `pbOnActiveAll'

PokeBattle_Battle:2361:in `each'

PokeBattle_Battle:2361:in `pbOnActiveAll'

PokeBattle_DynamicBattle:183:in `pbStartBattleCore'

PokeBattle_Battle:2602:in `pbStartBattle'

PTrainer_NPCTrainers:497:in `pbTrainerBattle'

Interpreter:276:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:794:in `command_111'

Interpreter:320:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

Scene_Map:114:in `update'

Scene_Map:68:in `main'

The thing i just noticed is that the most of the 6/7 gen abilities are not working: this one crashes but for example galvanize doesnt make the game crashing but doesnt change the normal moves to electric type

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Yeah well this error seems reasonable to me. At least in my copy of Essentials pbReduceAttackStateStageIntimidate only takes opponent as a parameter. What even is an attacker in the context of "opponent's attack stat being reduced by Intimidate"?

It's possible that "self" might be what you want instead of "attacker", I guess that this is the Pokémon who has Intimidate.

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2020
    Yeah well this error seems reasonable to me. At least in my copy of Essentials pbReduceAttackStateStageIntimidate only takes opponent as a parameter. What even is an attacker in the context of "opponent's attack stat being reduced by Intimidate"?

It's possible that "self" might be what you want instead of "attacker", I guess that this is the Pokémon who has Intimidate.

I'm not really good about scripts, can you explain me a bit easier how to solve this problem? or maybe a link to working 6/7 gen abilities because a lot of them don't work(for example also galvanize and grass pelt)

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I'm not really good about scripts, can you explain me a bit easier how to solve this problem? or maybe a link to working 6/7 gen abilities because a lot of them don't work(for example also galvanize and grass pelt)

Code:
    Section077:1016:in `pbReduceAttackStatStageIntimidate'undefined local variable or method `attacker' for #<PokeBattle_Battler:0xc2dfb50>

This says "attacker" doesn't exist on line 1016 of your script. Try replacing "attacker" with "self". But I have no idea if this will work, because obviously I can't see your code.

As for links to abilities, I'm afraid I have no idea where to find them. Maybe try asking on the Discord?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2020
    Thank you, now contrary works correctly, but now i have to solve the problem with like 70 other abilities

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2022
    Thank you, now contrary works correctly, but now i have to solve the problem with like 70 other abilities
    If you're going to work on editing abilities or scripts or adding anything into the scripts in general I'd highly recommend doing them one at a time, especially if you're not comfortable with scripting yet. It's extremely easy to lose track of things you've changed when you're not aware of everything you're doing and it could lead to your game having unfixable errors later on or force you to back track and undo current progress with your game. Just something to be careful about.

Reactions: Poq
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2020

If you're going to work on editing abilities or scripts or adding anything into the scripts in general I'd highly recommend doing them one at a time, especially if you're not comfortable with scripting yet. It's extremely easy to lose track of things you've changed when you're not aware of everything you're doing and it could lead to your game having unfixable errors later on or force you to back track and undo current progress with your game. Just something to be careful about.
    I am, i've backuped scripts and i test every ability one by one

Back