• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] Pros/Cons to creating your own pokemon?

Years
  • Hey everyone! I'm eager to get started making my own game in RPG Maker XP, and even though I'm just starting out I feel really eager to dig into the components and help create a new fantastic world! However, I have a question about the actual pokemon in the world: Is it more appealing to people to have a new set of pokemon, a mix between new and old, or just a compilation of pokemon from the past games? I've seen all three in games published here and all of them look fantastic, but I don't know if there's a consensus on what's best for a first go-around or what better exercises a person's creative muscles.

Thank's for y'all's time!

Pokeminer20

PDM20, Coder of Chaos!
    Years
  • as someone who wants to dip their toes into all 3 aspects of what you're attempting (Cannon Mons only, Fakemon only, mixed bag) I would say it'd honestly be better to begin by establishing large general sections of your world and then "zoom in" on those bits. for the creatures themself, the option is ultimately yours, just be mindful that some awesome story ideas won't be possible in a "Official Mons Only" game. If you want to build upon the pre-established lore of the pokemon world we're familiar with use cannon pokemon. if you want new lore, introduce a legend or two, a few regionals/megas/gigantamax/(insert other gimmick here) of your choosing and go ham, pokemon works on multiverse theory anyways. if you want a world truly foreign and open to exploration with each new map being mystical and unseen, a fakemon game is your best choice.

To truly get yourself in the door, I highly recommend a simple casual adventure in a region of your own design. 8+ gyms max if you wanna get spicy. The simplest way to answer this question however is to do this.
    1) Sit at your computer
    2) Open up a text editor of your choice
    3) Type in "What do I want in my game?"
    4) Make a small list.
    5) Profit

once you are in the door, then you can let it spiral outward from there once you have friends onboard to help.
    Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk

Back