• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your writing pet peeves?

Years
  • There are some things that really irk me with my writing and some things that annoy me when other people write. I just want to know what bothers everyone. Whether it's simply people speaking or established authors, I'm curious!

A couple off the top of my head is when people constantly use passive voice. I'm guilty of using it more than I should myself, but it still bothers me to read.

One that I read/hear all of the time is the misuse of the word "myself." It drives me insane when I hear this word used wrong.

"You can ask my assistant or myself."

I don't really feel like explaining what makes this wrong, so I'm hoping that all of you writing people here know. xD If you don't I'm willing to explain.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I don't recall its title anymore, but I read a book years ago where the writer felt the need to constantly refer to the eyes of anyone present. He didn't use the word 'eyes' once. Orbs, blue pools with hints of azure. I put that book down quickly. Another thing I don't like in professional fiction is self-inserts. I'm accepting of it in fan-fiction and roleplaying, because that can be about how you'd deal in that world. Once it's in professionally published work, though, it just takes me out of the story. I don't remember the title of this book either, but I read a book about a young girl with magic powers that constantly mused about how beautiful and great her mother was, only to find that the mother's description was the spitting image of the author's photo on the back.

Misfit Angel

Also known as Misfit Angel
    Years
  • I think the only really big peeve I have with others' writing is when they don't separate each character's actions into its own paragraph, such as when they have two different characters speaking in the same line. It makes it really hard to follow who's doing what, which is kinda key to getting an image into peoples' minds.

I don't know if there's an official rule in the English language regarding it, but I only saw it in kids books as I was growing up. I don't see it much anymore, maybe that's why it bothers me.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • My awful habit of lapsing into purple prose. *sweats* Seems to occur when I get a big burst of writing muse, haha.

Back