• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Audio] Pokémon GSC sounds in pokeruby

McPaul

On my way to become a controversial and hated memb
Years
  • Hello!

I'm looking to import and use GSC moves SFX in pokeruby but I don't have a single idea on how to do it.

I've been searching for hours for MIDI files of moves sounds from GSC but dind't find anything.

Maybe someone has any idea on how to do it?

Thanks for your answer.

Years
    • Seen May 12, 2024
    I'm looking to import and use GSC moves SFX in pokeruby but I don't have a single idea on how to do it.

I can think of two ways you can do this, one way being far easier than the other.

1. Using the 8-bit instruments within pokeruby, you can create the sound effects from GSC. This can be pretty dang tricky, since there are several elements to consider when working with 8-bit instruments, like duty-cycle, attack, decay, etc. But, it would be as authentic as possible to the original sound effects. You can see a breakdown of these sound effects and what notes to use in the pokecrystal decomp, specifically in audio/sfx.asm.

2. You can get an audio sample of the sound effect(s) that you want to put into pokeruby, and then turn that sample into a direct_sound instrument. You can then make a sound effect file that just plays that instrument once. Pretty easy, but not very efficient.

If you need help learning how to add music or sound effects to your ROM hack, or how to create new instruments, I wrote a tutorial that explains how that works. It's designed for pokeemerald, but it should still work for pokeruby.

McPaul

On my way to become a controversial and hated memb
    Years
  • Damn I have no talent in music if there's no MIDI database I give up.

Back