• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Plot Question

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    I get the feeling that this will get locked, but this seems like the only place to put it...

I'm currently developing a game in RMXP, and I'm in the very early stages of it. But I wanted to know whether or not people thought it was too much for the player to get kidnapped by the evil team before he even gets his/her Pokemon.

There's a reason for the kidnapping but the player doesn't know quite yet and it's only mistaken identity. But I feel like it might be off-putting for it to happen so early on in the game.

Sorry if this isn't in the right place.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • My game starts off with the player getting kidnapped for testing purposes by Silph Co, and I am satisfied with how it is turning out. If you believe that it is a good idea, just go through with it. I do not like fan games that start out the same way that others do, as the player turns ten and gets his Pokemon from the professor, so it would be a great idea for you to change things up. Just remember that the player can not engage in battle without a Pokemon.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    It is very important. In fact, it's the reason that the player receives his/her pokemon, as well as the rival. Also the evil teams (if you could even call them that in this case) wouldn't be involved with the main character if this incident hadn't occurred. Anyways, thanks for the feedback.

My game starts off with the player getting kidnapped for testing purposes by Silph Co, and I am satisfied with how it is turning out. If you believe that it is a good idea, just go through with it. I do not like fan games that start out the same way that others do, as the player turns ten and gets his Pokemon from the professor, so it would be a great idea for you to change things up. Just remember that the player can not engage in battle without a Pokemon.

In mine one of the evil teams kidnaps the player because he's helping the professor move in to his lab, and grunts are always stupid in the games, so they accidentally kidnap him when they intended to kidnap the Professor and get information on his research.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    Go for it. Differentiate yourself from the mainline games as much as possible. The main story is the only thing fan games can do better.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2016
    Go for it. Differentiate yourself from the mainline games as much as possible. The main story is the only thing fan games can do better.

Well not the only thing, but it is one of the things they can do a LOT better. Some of us are trying to make better graphics than a blob of pixels that are supposed to be a 3d building, or making a pokemon that doesn't look like a rehash of a pokemon from an older game. ;p

Still I like the kidnapping idea, just remember that some people like a less linear storyline, and it also doesn't hurt to throw in some side stories to take your player through something other than "beat the gyms beat the bad guys get the legends". That is probably the biggest shortcoming of all the pokemon games, and probably the main reason why so many other people don't like them.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    Yeah, I feel like my plot is far different than most games, but it's heavily inspired by Lost, well the back story is. But they won't be getting the legends so much as helping them or not helping them. But I can't decide whether I should have the story change depending on some key choices that the player makes or have it be completely cemented what happens.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2016
    Yeah, I feel like my plot is far different than most games, but it's heavily inspired by Lost, well the back story is. But they won't be getting the legends so much as helping them or not helping them. But I can't decide whether I should have the story change depending on some key choices that the player makes or have it be completely cemented what happens.

It all comes down to 2 things as far as how I would decide it.
    #1 Which way is easier to make.
    #2 Do I really want to take the easy route.

For example with the game I've been making on my own for god knows how long now I have been making all the tiles and other graphics instead of just going out and using Kyle-Doves. Along with that I've been looking into different ways of extending Poccils kit, and unique ides of terrains, pokemon, and even villains so that it isn't just another game about running around collecting badges, and beating the bad guys. I guess the real point of what I'm saying here is take a few risks if you find out it's too much there's always the option of saying "well screw that idea on to the next one" and you learn a lesson from it ^.^;

Back