• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

On-map Encounters?

Xtr3me

Professional Quitter
Years
  • Hello! I've been looking around but haven't found anything for rpg maker xp or pokemon essentials for having on-map encounters instead of the random encounters system.

I've been searching for different types of encounters:
    - aggressive encounters (when the player is x tiles away, the pokémon chases him and battles if he manages to touch the player)
    - curious encounters (when the player is x tiles away, the pokemon follows him passively until the player turns around and presses enter to battle/cutscene or other)
    - evasive encounters (they try to escape from the player when the player is x tiles away)

Does anyone know of a script that does that or a way to event this? It's a bit too complicated for me to figure out how to do this...

Thank you!

Sir_Tman

Overworked game Dev
    Years
  • Have you tried playing around with autonomous Movement and Triggers?
    Well..PNG

Xtr3me

Professional Quitter
    Years
  • I've tried a few things, but they were all too difficult and I couldn't get it to work. I had an idea and tried using the Trainer(4) name, but... I couldn't make it work out.

If I only needed one event like that, then I would probably be able to come up with a super big and complicated event with multiple variables and switches at play but I want to replace the whole encounter system by this, so that means about 10 pokemon per outside map or more for bigger maps.
    Well, it might not seem a lot but I don't want to have to spend hours on just this and make a buggy game because of too many events going on at the same time. Maybe eventing this is a bit too ambitious...

Do you have an idea on how to do this?

Years
  • As Sir_Tman said, use the autonomous movement (select Type: Custom) alongside the events from Berth/Faraday island. In Move Route you can select move away/toward the player. There you just need to use the triggers Action/Event touch.

Beware that having too much events on a map can cause the game to lag. So, depending how much events you create, might be advisable to make a dedicate map for encounters or just limitate the amount of pokémon you want to appear.

EDIT: If you want to use the stock tilesets that come with essentias, you need to untie (?) some tiles that are bound to encounter tag like the grass one.

Last edited:
    Back