• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PBS Question] Editing PBS files doesn't edit the game

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2019
    Hi. I'm trying to add new classes, change their battle theme, and make their party, but once I add the code, It doesn't actually add them to the game! I am very frustrated by this. Do I need to reinstall essentials or something?

Poq

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2021
    It's possible your game hasn't recompiled since you made the changes. Run it in playtest mode from RMXP, and that should do it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2024
    As far as I know, just editing the PBS files doesn't completely add them to the game. You'll need to program the rest of them in the script editor

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2019
    As far as I know, just editing the PBS files doesn't completely add them to the game. You'll need to program the rest of them in the script editor

For stuff as simple as he is describing? No, all you need is the PBS.

My first instinct would be that he's not referencing the new, created entities correctly when he tries to use them

At the very least, this strikes me as likely a problem of overlooking some detail over anything

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2024
    For stuff as simple as he is describing? No, all you need is the PBS.

My first instinct would be that he's not referencing the new, created entities correctly when he tries to use them

At the very least, this strikes me as likely a problem of overlooking some detail over anything

What do you mean by "Referencing"?

Isn't that the same thing as programming them in via the script editor.

If you want to create a type, you'll need to use the txt editor to make the type first. But that's not enough. There are some events in the script editor you'll need to program in to reference the type you added.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2019
    What do you mean by "Referencing"?

Isn't that the same thing as programming them in via the script editor.

If you want to create a type, you'll need to use the txt editor to make the type first. But that's not enough. There are some events in the script editor you'll need to program in to reference the type you added.

Referencing just means referencing. You set it up in PBS, and you give the trainer battle script in the event the reference names so it knows what to grab

And he didn't say he wanted a new type

He's just setting up trainer types and individual trainers

Last edited:

Poq

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2021
    Hi. I'm trying to add new classes, change their battle theme, and make their party, but once I add the code, It doesn't actually add them to the game! I am very frustrated by this. Do I need to reinstall essentials or something?

This may vary welbe an overly simple question, but I just want to make sure we've covered all our bases:
    Have you actually created events for these trainers on the map? Also, do you have the graphics and music files in the right places with the right naming conventions?

Years
  • It's possible if you have multiple of the same pbs or editing another games pbs (as I have 5 different copies of my game as backups) you should be editing the wrong pbs folder! Make sure you follow the instructions on the wiki on how to make a trainer class and make sure all the spelling is exact!

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2019
    This might sound dumb, but I've watched many tutorials about this topic (Not the battle music) and they don't use the script editor. Am I just watching outdated videos?

Have you actually created events for these trainers on the map? Also, do you have the graphics and music files in the right places with the right naming conventions?
    I put my music files in the music folder. idk what the "right naming conventions" are, would you mind telling me? Also, the graphics work fine

I am thinking of just doing a reinstall of essentials

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2019
    This might sound dumb, but I've watched many tutorials about this topic (Not the battle music) and they don't use the script editor. Am I just watching outdated videos?

I put my music files in the music folder. idk what the "right naming conventions" are, would you mind telling me? Also, the graphics work fine

I am thinking of just doing a reinstall of essentials

It has nothing to do with scripts. That guy thought you were trying to add new Pokemon types.

And a reinstall is very, very unlikely to solve this problem. It really sounds like you're doing a specific step in the process incorrectly and just not realizing that specific oversight.

Can you be more specific in what you are seeing go wrong?

Some information that would be useful would be...

• The PBS section of the trainer type you're making (and also a couple before and after)
    • The PBS section from the specific, individual trainer you're trying to setup
    • The event details in RPG maker where you setup the trainer to be encountered
    • What exactly you are seeing when you describe "it doesn't actually add them to the game"... As in... Are you getting a message that says they don't exist when you approach the trainer in question? Are you getting an error pop up? Are you just battling an entirely different trainer when you try?

There's a lot of places you could overlook something, so anyone who wants to help needs more information to come to an actual conclusion.

Rule of thumb in the future. If you need help troubleshooting a problem, always give as much info as you can.

Back