• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Question] Gamepad Functionality needs to be a thing and can it be done minus emulation

Amyrakunejo

Philosophical Pagan Femme Fair Gynesexual Gamer
Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2020
    This really bugs me since ALL my RM game testing is done using a gamepad and PE has somehow disabled it or has made it to where one has to fiddle with the scripting in a way I don't know intricately enough to go for it myself.

Also, yes I know I could use Joy2Key but since by DEFAULT all RM engines have gamepad support, emulating this by passing keyboard commands to the gamepad is backasswards.

So, I'm surprised no one has brought it up, and yes, it is a must going forward.
    I've not found anything in the documentation about gamepads either unless I missed something there as well, something easily missed by those suffering from 2 AM Syndrome.

Yes, I am asking if it can be done, and how, minus emulation because...yeah.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    You probably want to explore the PSystem_Controls part of the scripts. I think what you'd have to do is roughly this:
    1. Work out how to get gamepad inputs.
    2. Add checks for these inputs in self.count/self.release?/self.trigger?/self.repeat?, you'll have to map "buttons" onto gamepad inputs.
    3. Add checks for inputs in self.repeatex?/self.releaseex?/self.triggerex?/self.repeatcount/self.pressex?, you'll have to map keys into gamepad inputs.

Amyrakunejo

Philosophical Pagan Femme Fair Gynesexual Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2020
    You probably want to explore the PSystem_Controls part of the scripts. I think what you'd have to do is roughly this:
    1. Work out how to get gamepad inputs.
    2. Add checks for these inputs in self.count/self.release?/self.trigger?/self.repeat?, you'll have to map "buttons" onto gamepad inputs.
    3. Add checks for inputs in self.repeatex?/self.releaseex?/self.triggerex?/self.repeatcount/self.pressex?, you'll have to map keys into gamepad inputs.

Hmmm...
    Okay. Looks like I'd have to get someone to assist me on this; I'm not an expert at this and don't exactly know what I am doing. But I might figure it out solo, I don't know.

Back