• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] Alolan League Speculation

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
EVEN THOUGH IT'S TAGGED THIS IS ANOTHER WARNING THAT THIS MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE NOT CAUGHT UP WITH THE ANIME IN JAPANESE

So Kukui officially has announced the league that he's been talking about here and there throughout the series. We knew that this was going to happen re: the games, but from his announcement it seems that this league will work a little bit different than your usual league we've seen (need eight badge to enter. doesn't look like you need to beat all four grand trials to enter this one, though).

Thoughts? Seems the whole gang might see about entering so that's going to be interesting as none of them (not even Ash himself) have full teams. Certainly the first thing I thought of when they all spoke about entering.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
While it's expected, it feels like they're going to rush events in the coming Episodes. Lillie gets her Z-Ring next week and it's largely as a result of her agreeing to participate while having had no use for that Z-Crystal for over 35 Episodes now. With Mallow and Sophocles also joining in, it points to them getting Z-Rings too, although I have no idea what Crystals they'll get. Bug for Sophocles? No clue what Mallow will use. Psychic if she uses Oranguru(she will need more Pokémon... just like everyone else in the group).

Also a Magearna cameo next week. They hinting at Lillie getting a Fairy-Z or something? Would make sense if she borrows her mother's Clefable or "catches" Magearna.

Years
i want ash to win but if he challenges the league with that sort of pokemon...
i expect torracat to evolve. but is that it? Pikachu, Incineroar, and Lycanroc as his strongest pokemon for the league? at least evolve meltan goddamit. oh well, i guess evolved pokemon vs unevolved pokemon doesn't matter in the anime

props to them with the way they managed to make sure rowlet won't evolve ;-;
and i was hoping for ash to have decidueye

i got sidetracked a bit, but i expect the alolan league to be something exciting. hope its actually something unique compared to the others (though i won't mind if they go with a more traditional approach with the league)

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Even though Guzma would make a decent Ash rival, he's really a rival for Kukui. Ash already has Hau, Gladion and Kiawe... like he really needs more. My deepest concern... and one I am really dreading... is that Lillie comes in and just wastes the competition with her OP Alolan Ninetales.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
If Ash is going to lose to anyone I believe it will be either Hau or Gladion. Maybeee Kiawe but he kinda falls under the whole 'not a full team' foster. Unless the final battle is a 3 on 3 which would work since Ash's more powerful pokemon ( as mentioned before ) as Pikachu, Lycanroc, and Torracat/Incineroar. Despite Lillie getting the Z-Ring and possibly getting an Alolan Ninetales I don't think she'll win the league itself.

As for the show rushing by Lillie getting a Z-Ring in the next episode I disagree. Like you mentioned it's been a while since she's gotten the Z-Crystal so it's about time she got the Z-Ring to go with it and I think the league is a good set-up for it (just like how the league was a good set up to introduce Guzma).

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
My only beef is that once Lillie got the Z-Crystal in Episode 80, her mother, Professor Burnet or someone ought to have noticed and worked to give her a Z-Ring to make use of it far sooner. I mean it was almost as bad as Team Rocket with their Darkium-Z(Episode 25 to Episode 73... just to get a Z-Ring to use it). As for her Pokemon, Alolan Ninetales is a pretty strong Pokemon(assuming she evolves it that is. If she doesn't she's doing herself a disservice in my eyes) and the only contenders in taking her down are her own brother Gladion(Lycanroc and Silvally), Ash(Pikachu, Torracat/Incineroar) and Kiawe(any Fire Type). Plumeria also would give her issues with Poison Types. Yet if she gets Magerna(Fairy/Steel), eh watch out on that. Immune to Poison, x1 Steel and leaves just Fire(and anyone with Ground moves) as its only vulnerability.

Just saying she's a force to be reckoned with. Don't let her timid/inexperienced look fool you because as the writers would say: "Lillie's the best, fuck the rest". Also, as much as I want to see an Ash vs. Gladion bout, I really want to see Lillie vs. Gladion.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'll hold off until i see the next episode to conclude that imo. But the time between Team Rocket getting their Zring so long after their Z crystal didnt bother me wither so.

I didnt say she wasnt going to be a forse to be reckoned with, just said shes probably not going to be the one to win the league haha. Someone even pointed out in the episode that she did well in the double battle which is why she should enter and i agreed with that. I hope we see her battle more before the league (like next episode) and yesss i completely agree with gladion vs lillie please let that happen.

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
Years
Don't think having a 6vs6 Alola League will be happening with the casts of course. Best they can go is 3vs3. I expect a 1v1 elimination round, then a Double Battle 2v2, and then 3v3 on maybe top 8 or something. It's a new League and they seems to start rushing things now, so I think the participants won't be as much, probably starts at 64 participants.

As for concerns, Lillie might have high chance getting that Magearna so she would have two Pokemon (if not then why dedicated an episode for it...), don't forget Mallow still have Shaymin which may stay until the League is done, it's not impossible to have Shaymin to help a bit, if not then She'll have to ask Oranguru for help ( Shaymin is the easier route to take). I won't expect Lillie, Mallow and Sophocles to go deep into the tournament anyway, so for them to have 2 Pokemon is fine. (Unless Lillie evolves her Vulpix)

Do you think Kukui will disguised as The Masked Royal and participate in the League too? I think it'll likely happen and he'll be up against Guzma...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Do you think Kukui will disguised as The Masked Royal and participate in the League too? I think it'll likely happen and he'll be up against Guzma...

Seeing as I believe this is really the only way for Kukui to enter the League (as I don't see Kukui himself to enter something he himself set up) I wouldn't be surprised to see this happening. Regardless I really hope something happens between Kukui and Guzma during the league because I need that interaction between these two like... so much. Please give me what the game did not lol.

Years
Kiawe could be the new Alolan Champion though, but i still thank Hau could be the next one which connects to the video game that has Hau as an champion one.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I honestly wouldn't exclude Hau just yet. We've only seen one Pokemon of his and... well.... let's not forget Cameron in Unova.

Back