• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Audio] Pokémon FRLG Midi Code Properties

SK94

Kerssy94
Years
  • I often find myself editing music and inserting them into FireRed. I try to make my remixes sound as authentic as possible, but I believe that there are a lot of properties which are lost when importing the existing OST into Midis. For example, I recently got taught that there are a few properties known as "lfos" (used for altering modulation speed) and "bendr" (making the pitch bends stronger). I believe there are a lot more of these properties which are lost during conversion. Is there a way to find out if there are more properties, or if anybody knows where a complete list can be found?

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
    Years
  • If you are using Sappy, the most precise way (albeit a bit exhausting) to explore the song properties of FR is to "Export Tracks" (to copy the binary codes directly from the ROM and write them to newly created blank files).
    As far as I have found out, at least these codes are the controller events for every track in the songs:
    Spoiler:

SK94

Kerssy94
    Years
  • If you are using Sappy, the most precise way (albeit a bit exhausting) to explore the song properties of FR is to "Export Tracks" (to copy the binary codes directly from the ROM and write them to newly created blank files).
    As far as I have found out, at least these codes are the controller events for every track in the songs:
    Spoiler:

The properties you mentioned here aren't lost in any conversions. I can often use my DAW to alter these properties. I already mentioned two properties that I have to add into the processed .s file (lfos and bendr). I was just wondering if there are any other 'lost' properties I have to add in that are typically used for the FRLG OST.

SK94

Kerssy94
    Years
    Spoiler:

I know that some properties are lost, like the ones I mentioned (lfos and bendr) but the ones you mentioned aren't lost and can usually be edited in the DAW. I was wondering whether there were any other hidden/lost properties that have to be added into the .s file manually via something like Notepad.

RoadToCerulean

A Ordinary Kanto Lover
    Years
  • I know that some properties are lost, like the ones I mentioned (lfos and bendr) but the ones you mentioned aren't lost and can usually be edited in the DAW. I was wondering whether there were any other hidden/lost properties that have to be added into the .s file manually via something like Notepad.
    Editing .s file can be dangerous if one is not experienced enough, I think. I tried a lot of times attempting to edit the .s files and every time the songs crashed upon playing, until I switched to editing the track data directly and the songs perfectly kept their quality.
    I mean, not all the properties I have mentioned are lost. Most basic properties are well kept, but there are a few controller events (C1, C2, C3) that exist in the ROM code and when a song containing them is exported and dragged on to mid2agb.exe, it cannot correctly convert these few events into .s file (as the program will simply skip them). You will definitely hear a wierd song if you extract No.297 Trainer Battle and insert it back again. Some other advanced controller events like Expression do not exist in GBA ROM codes at all, and there is no way to keep them.

Last edited:
    Back