• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] (PokeRuby + PokeEmerald) Creating a brand new title screen logo?

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    Hi!

I was wondering if it was possible to completely change Pokemon R/S/E's title screen logos by using an image other than the 64x64 pixel ones. I am talking about these pictures:
    rubyversion.png
    sapphireversion.png
    . I wanted to use TokoyamiTheDark's pixel OR/AS logo (with permission, of course) and they are like this:
    logo-omegaruby-pixel.png
    logo-alphasapphire-pixel.png
    . Do they need to be split into two like the original logos, or can they be used like that via NTME or TileMapStudio? Thanks again.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi!

I was wondering if it was possible to completely change Pokemon R/S/E's title screen logos by using an image other than the 64x64 pixel ones. I am talking about these pictures:
    rubyversion.png
    sapphireversion.png
    . I wanted to use TokoyamiTheDark's pixel OR/AS logo (with permission, of course) and they are like this:
    logo-omegaruby-pixel.png
    logo-alphasapphire-pixel.png
    . Do they need to be split into two like the original logos, or can they be used like that via NTME or TileMapStudio? Thanks again.

If you looked at the title screen in an emulator's OAM viewer, you would see that the version image consists of two 64x32 sprites placed next to each other to form a 128x32 image.
    Since they are sprites and not backgrounds, Tilemap Studio or NTME won't help you in any way.

You could split your image by placing the first 64x32 section at the top of the version image and the second on the bottom, or you could make your image 128x32.
    To make a 128x32 image work, you would need to create a custom rule for it in the spritesheet_rules.mk file:
    Code:
    graphics/title_screen/rubyversion.8bpp: %.8bpp : %.png
        $(GBAGFX) $< $@ -mwidth 8 -mheight 4

(note that the second line starts with 4 spaces in this post, but in the actual file it needs to start with a tab)

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    Thanks for the help. But there's a thing that ticks me off. The Pokémon logo has the correct colors in its palette (logo_ruby.pal and logo_sapphire.pal, these are untouched), then I created a new .pal file for rubyversion.png and sapphireversion.png, but... I get this instead...
    pokeruby.png
    pokesapphire.png

So what I did was to give a brand new 256 colors palette to the pixel ORAS logos using IrfanView, and I got this on my 2nd attempt:
    pokeruby-v2.png
    pokesapphire-v2.png

Anyone has an idea of what I'm doing wrong? Also, it is possible to give rubyversion.png and sapphireversion.png a separate palette other than logo_ruby.pal and logo_sapphire.pal? I'm about to give up...

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Anyone has an idea of what I'm doing wrong?
    I'm guessing you don't have the new logo's colors in your sprite palette OR you have the colors but your image is not using them.
    The logo is a 256-color image so instead of having its own dedicated 16-color palette it has access to all 256 colors in the gba's sprite palette.
    Looking at an emulator's palette viewer it seems that the first 224 colors come from logo_ruby.pal/logo_sapphire.pal, the next 16 colors are from logo_shine.png and the last 16 colors appear to be unused.

An easy way to do this is to place the logo's colors in the logo_ruby.pal/logo_sapphire.pal files (and make sure that your image actually uses those colors and that you don't replace the pokemon logo's colors).

Also, it is possible to give rubyversion.png and sapphireversion.png a separate palette other than logo_ruby.pal and logo_sapphire.pal?
    Alternatively you could modify the code to load a new 16-color palette to the last sprite palette slot and use those colors in your image.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2024
    I'm guessing you don't have the new logo's colors in your sprite palette OR you have the colors but your image is not using them.
    The logo is a 256-color image so instead of having its own dedicated 16-color palette it has access to all 256 colors in the gba's sprite palette.
    Looking at an emulator's palette viewer it seems that the first 224 colors come from logo_ruby.pal/logo_sapphire.pal, the next 16 colors are from logo_shine.png and the last 16 colors appear to be unused.

An easy way to do this is to place the logo's colors in the logo_ruby.pal/logo_sapphire.pal files (and make sure that your image actually uses those colors and that you don't replace the pokemon logo's colors).

When I tried viewing the palette from a clean ROM, with VBA, I was able to save the ''sprite'' palette and overwrite logo_ruby.pal as a test. But even there, with Cyotek Palette Editor, I can only see the first 224 colors. The others are not in the logo_ruby.pal...

Alternatively you could modify the code to load a new 16-color palette to the last sprite palette slot and use those colors in your image.

And how can I do this? I stayed ALL NIGHT long trying to figure it out by myself before you replied...

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    When I tried viewing the palette from a clean ROM, with VBA, I was able to save the ''sprite'' palette and overwrite logo_ruby.pal as a test. But even there, with Cyotek Palette Editor, I can only see the first 224 colors. The others are not in the logo_ruby.pal...
    ...And what were you hoping to accomplish by doing this?
    Like I said the first 224 colors of the sprite palette are taken from the logo_ruby.pal/logo_sapphire.pal file so those files already have the exact same 224 colors as the sprite palette, and the other colors in the sprite palette come from other sources so adding more colors to logo_ruby.pal/logo_sapphire.pal wouldn't even do anything unless you also modified the code.

(Also thanks for mentioning Cyotek Palette Editor. I've never heard of it before but it seems like a useful tool.)

And how can I do this? I stayed ALL NIGHT long trying to figure it out by myself before you replied...
    First include your new palette file (Possibly inside this #ifdef to have a different palette filepath for ruby and sapphire):
    Code:
    static const u16 yourNewPaletteName[] = INCBIN_U16("graphics/title_screen/your_new_palette_file.gbapal");

Then load your palette somewhere around here:
    Code:
    LoadPalette(yourNewPaletteName, 0x1F0, 0x20);

Back