• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[17.2] Efficient Puddle Step Animations

Boonzeet

Pokémon Secrets of the Ages Developer
Years
  • waterpuddles.gif

Scripts exist for the bubble animation when walking through puddles, but add a lot of code to tackle a small problem. This can be achieved in V17 with a simple edit of the grass animation code.

Settings

Find this line
    Code:
    PLANT_SPARKLE_ANIMATION_ID   = 7

Add this underneath:
    Code:
    PUDDLE_ANIMATION_ID          = 8 # or whichever animation ID you'd like to use

PField_Field

Find this line::
    Code:
    if PBTerrain.isJustGrass?(pbGetTerrainTag(event,true))  # Won't show if under bridge
          $scene.spriteset.addUserAnimation(GRASS_ANIMATION_ID,event.x,event.y,true,1)

And add this directly underneath:
    Code:
    elsif pbGetTerrainTag(event,true) == PBTerrain::Puddle # Won't show if under bridge
          $scene.spriteset.addUserAnimation(PUDDLE_ANIMATION_ID,event.x,event.y,true,0)

Lastly, save this replacement to the dust and grass animation and create an animation that uses 3 frames for each picture, totalling 12 frames:

exampleanim.PNG

And you should be good to go!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2020
    I tried adding this to my game. The puddle sound effects are working but the puddle animations don't show up. Do I need to make an event to play them?

Boonzeet

Pokémon Secrets of the Ages Developer
    Years
  • I tried adding this to my game. The puddle sound effects are working but the puddle animations don't show up. Do I need to make an event to play them?

The puddle animations are set to layer 0 to appear on the same layer as the reflections. Are your reflections visible in your puddles?

Alternatively, you can change this line:
    Code:
    $scene.spriteset.addUserAnimation(PUDDLE_ANIMATION_ID,event.x,event.y,true,0)

to
    Code:
    $scene.spriteset.addUserAnimation(PUDDLE_ANIMATION_ID,event.x,event.y,true,1)

However the puddle splashes will appear above the edges of the puddle.

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    What if I want the reflection and the splash effect appear at the same time? Is that possible?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I have a problem:
    The script works well when i place the puddles in Layer1(wave animations+reflection)
    If I place the puddles in the other layers, i only can see the animation of waves (over the rock), the tile of puddles become invisible and reflections aren't showing neither of course.

I have pokemon Following and OW Shadow installed (can't see the reflections of following pokemon, and shadows dont showing over the puddle when is placed and working in layer 1)

Last edited:
    I have a problem:
    The script works well when i place the puddles in Layer1(wave animations+reflection)
    If I place the puddles in the other layers, i only can see the animation of waves (over the rock), the tile of puddles become invisible and reflections aren't showing neither of course.

I have pokemon Following and OW Shadow installed (can't see the reflections of following pokemon, and shadows dont showing over the puddle when is placed and working in layer 1)

I was also having the same issue, but since we have layer 1 tiles, we are safe. But, it would b nice if we are able to place it in Layer 2.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2022
    Without trying to be a copy pasta, does this work on 19.1? Such an amazing-looking resource! I know I only just posted on one of your only threads so take your time to reply :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2024
    I tried to do this on the v19 but is not working. Can somebody port this animation to the Pokemon Essentials V19 and V20.

Back