• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] Dragonsbreath - a new scripting language for Pokeemerald

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • I've been dreading scripting and cutscene work for my hack for a while now, because after moving from RMXP to the decomps, I was fine with almost every tradeoff I was dealing with in the process, but the scripting system just really frustrated me. I'm not a C/C++ programmer and didn't know how to improve it from within Pokeemerald itself (and making changes would likely make the ROM not match anyways) so I decided to design a new language on top and a simple transpiler that will convert it into Pokeemerald-compatible scripts. This is Dragonsbreath.
    Code:
    script DragonsbreathTestScript
      lock
        faceplayer
        checkplayergender
        if it is FEMALE
          say "Hey sis!$"
        else
          say "Ugh, what do you want?$"

Spoiler: For the curious, here's what gets outputted when you transpile that
    Code:
    DragonsbreathTestScript::
      lock
      faceplayer
      checkplayergender
      compare VAR_RESULT, FEMALE
      goto_if_eq _DragonsbreathTestScript_Subscript_Code_1
      msgbox _DragonsbreathTestScript_Subscript_Text_2, MSGBOX_DEFAULT
      release
      end

_DragonsbreathTestScript_Subscript_Text_0:
      .string "Hey sis!$"

_DragonsbreathTestScript_Subscript_Code_1::
      msgbox _DragonsbreathTestScript_Subscript_Text_0, MSGBOX_DEFAULT
      release
      end

_DragonsbreathTestScript_Subscript_Text_2:
      .string "Ugh, what do you want?$"
    So, a quick rundown of the features of the language
    - Everything is inline - there is no goto for conditionals, messageboxes, or movement
    - A natural english syntax with a low learning curve
    - Whitespace-delimited formatting. If you like Python (I actually don't) you'll feel pretty at home

An important thing to note is that Dragonsbreath supports all Pokeemerald commands, yes even the custom ones you added for your hack. If Dragonsbreath sees a command it doesn't recognize, it just leaves it unchanged in the final output. A few commands have little additions to their behavior, and some, like the if/else_if/else commands for conditionals, are only usable in Dragonsbreath and get transpiled to something else. For a full list, see here.

Anyways, as of today Dragonsbreath is in a mostly usable state from what I can tell. If any early adopters are interested in trying it out for their hacks and giving me feedback (either on the functionality, commands, or documentation) I'd absolutely adore that.

Code, documentation and install instructions

jensmoking

Little boygirl.
    Years
  • I'm not working on emerald, but I'll bookmark this and check it out later, it seems pretty intresting to try
    Also, I will try to report if find any bug
    Good luck with this!

Back