• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IV and nature manipulation on 3 Gen games

Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2023
    Is there any way to create items or npcs in a gen 3 hack(emerald preferentially) that can increase or decrease IV and or change the nature of pokemons? i tried to find if it was possible but found nothing. If yes, care to link to a tutorial or similar? If not, it is because nobody tried or the game just dont allow it?

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    So, the pokemon Data Structure can be found here: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_data_structure_in_Generation_III

If you scroll down, it has an offset towards it. The problem is that the EVs and IVs are encrypted and you need to perform a checksum afterwards that needs to match what the game has, otherwise you get a Bad Egg. Luckily, someone made a routine to decrypt this data:

pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=168600

Read through the thread. You'll have to use their decryption routine with a callasm command to load it into RAM, then you can use other routines to manipulate that data and make changes such as EVs and IVs. There's a routine for EVs in the thread, but I didn't find one for IVs. I planned to try my hand at writing one, but I'm not skilled at ASM so I can't possibly give an ETA or any guarantee that I'll finish it. You'll have to either write your own or find one.
    After that, you have to use the encryption routine that's also in that first post to store it back in the game in the proper area.

NOTE: The decryption routine only works for the LEAD pokemon. So if you wanted to have the entire team available or a different team slot, you'll have to rewrite the decryption and encryption routines.

You could then just use callasm commands to change EVs and IVs whenever you want. Although I don't know how to do that with items, it's not very difficult to script for NPCs.
    The real trouble is Natures. I haven't found any routines that do this yet. If I'm not wrong, you'd have to mess around with the pokemon's personality value, which makes the process a lot more complicated.

Back