• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Kris' Crystal journey.

Years
  • Bad title, I know.

I've been feeling an urge to play Crystal lately. I never actually got further than Lance anyways so actually finishing Crystal motivates me.

I apologize for the tiny screenshots but I play on a mobile emulator. If there is a way to make them bigger please let me know.

Anyways, to the journal:

fzWuMnD_d.jpg

I always pick Kris in Crystal because I love the way her blue contrasts Silver's red.

New Bark Town
    It's night, I go downstairs to find Mom and a neighbor. Mom tells me Prof. Elm wants to see me.

vybT42q.png

Don't worry Mom I also forget the day.

I go outside and find ignore the people, head towards Prof. Elm's lab, not without talking to everyone's favorite redheaded edgelord first.

TZQyX4H.png

Easy there tomato dude.

I go inside Prof. Elm's lab and he tells me he needs help with raising a Pokémon, and later recieves Mr.Pokémon's e-mail with his finding. Even more reason to give me my starter. I guess his assistant must be very busy to charge him instead of a random teenager.

dMYSmXF.png

My favorite starter is actually Totodile but GSC Typhlosion is so awesome ingame I can't pick anything other than Cyndaquil.

Nailed a male with good DVs, awesome.

Current crew:

Cyndaquil_cristal.gif
    Lv. 5 (M)
    - Tackle
    - Leer

(Crystal sprites are the best thing ever.)

Went through route 29 without major stuff happening.

Cherrygrove City and Route 30

Cherry trees are nowhere to be seen and there are barely any flowers.

Anyways, I follow the old man to get the map card and get into the pokemon center, then rush towards Mr.Pokémon's house. Inside I'm trusted with the egg and Prof. Oak talks about how awesome I am and gives me the Pokédex.

Heading out I get Prof. Elm's call and rush back to New Bark Town, I find Silver/???/Douche/Trap/ wathever you like calling him.

5mhI2Pi.png

I love the contrasting colors, I really do,
    It's a shame Lyra has a red color scheme and not blue.

Both Pokémon Leer at each other at the start which was pretty cool.

New Bark Town

After kicking Silver's butt I head back to Prof. Elm's Lab to name him and have Prof. Elm freak out about me getting a Pokédex. I head to my house to say Mom goodbye.

HNbu7y4.png

No, Mom, I know that as soon as money starts arriving you'll compulsively start buying stuff I don't need.

Personally I'd be pretty concerned about my young daughter leaving alone but eh, Pokémon stuff.

Current crew
    Cyndaquil_cristal.gif
    Lv. 8 (M)
    - Tackle
    - Leer
    - Smokescreen

---

And that's the first entry, hopefully I'll have the second ready by tomorrow! Please feel free to comment, I might take suggestions and other things!

Years
  • Entry #2

Route 30 and 31

On the next morning (or day, since I overslept) I start from Cherrygrove city and head to route 30, trainers are beaten quickly by Cyndaquil. I used to dislike Johto's trainer theme at first but I kind of grew fond of it over time.

Speaking of music, Route 30's theme is amazing in 8-Bit, it has an adventurous feeling to it and keeps your spirits high.

aRKA1qt.png

No, I don't want to be called over 10 times a day just to hear about your awesome Rattata and rematch it at Lv. 4

At Route 31 I find my first catch:

UhdzOAr.png

The Bellsprout line is one of my favorite ones to use in any playthrough. Sleep and Paralysis support, good offenses from both sides and Growth improving it's Special Attack, it's awesome! Only things preventing from becoming a swiss army knife are it's poor bulk and speed, though paralysis makes up for speed and it's not like many things can 2 shot you ingame unless they are attacks with type advantage. The carnivorous plant has never disappointed me in prior runs.

Current Crew

Cyndaquil_cristal.gif
    Lv. 12 (M)
    - Tackle
    - Leer
    - Smokescreen
    - Ember

Bellsprout_cristal.gif
    Lv.5 (M)
    - Vine Whip

Violet City

I always liked Violet City's traditional looking houses, coupled with the pond, the Bellsprout Tower, the Trainer's school and it's proximity to to the Ruins of Alph and Goldenrod, I wouldn't mind living here!

After healing my party I head straight for the Bellsprout Tower. My Bellsprout levels up pretty quickly and I'm not worried about Cyndaquil at all since I'm already ahead of Falkner.

I get to the top of the tower to find Silver battling the sage and after winning he goes to his usual edgy self. I guess he really cares that much about winning.

95oH2mo.png

Gee, for someone who loses so much the words "weakling" and "wimp" fit you better.

Anyways, Cyndaquil single handedly beats all of the sage's Pokémon.

sSjQtgp.png

I just wish the second evolution happened as early as the first.

Right after I head to the gym, Bird Keepers aren't exactly the toughest trainers around and they are underleveled, so get to Falkner himself quickly.

Battle starts Pidgey goes down in one hit ember, Pidgeotto is next.

4oRuQXA.png

Pidgeotto actually went down in 2 hits, but I went with smokescreen first for two reasons. One, I wanted to use accuracy RNG against him for the pain that Mud Slap caused me in non-Cyndaquil runs and Two because I wanted to drag the battle longer because GSC's gym leader theme I just that awesome.

8p9LabX.png

Piece of cake

I head to the Pokémon Center to get the egg and then out of the city.

Route 32

I decided to skip the Ruins of Alph now, I plan on visiting them later on.

I get the Miracle Seed from the man on the road, good stuff, Bellsprout appreciates any power boost since Vine Whip isn't exactly an 80 BP attack.

The fishermen are an amazing way of leveling Bellsprout, I get the last one's number in case there's ever a Quilfish horde.

Just before the Pokémon Center there's the man with the Slowpoke Tail, only for 1.000.000 PokéDollars!
    S8IIcNV.png

I wish I was.

After that I get to the Pokémon Center and save the game.

Current Crew:
    Quilava_cristal.gif
    (M)
    Lv. 15
    - Tackle
    - Leer
    - Smokescreen
    - Ember

Bellsprout_cristal.gif
    (M) @ Miracle Seed
    Lv. 14
    - Vine Whip
    - Growth
    - Wrap

---

That's it for today, I'm trying to do one gym leader per day so I can get to the 4th by Friday. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Entry #3

Since I woke up early today (8AM is early by my summer standards), I took the chance to bactrack towards the Dark Cave to catch a Teddiursa and maybe Phanpy.

Dark Cave

I arrive at the cave and immediately start searching, navigating isn't overly difficult since I (sort of) memorized this section's layout, I manage to get get to the potion and a Teddiursa appears shortly after.

IeS79yK.png

She didn't get a chance to escape thanks to Bellsprout's wrap, plus it was caught with the first Pokéball, good girl.

Route 46

Afterwards I waste no time in getting to Route 46 since it's already 9:50 and the morning cycle ends at 10. Thankfully I managed to find a Phanpy right before that.

ceaUkHx.png

Bellsprout makes capturing these kind of mons really smooth thanks to Wrap and Sleep Powder, it's amazing.

After the catch I go to Cherrygrove's Pokémon Center and store them, I don't actually plan on using either though I might get some use out of Teddy as an early HM mon.

I rush back to the Union Cave's entrance.

Union Cave
    I plan to capture some more Pokémon here, just as I enter I put the old fishing rod to use.

pTNnhdd.png

Jackpot... by Old Rod standards anyways, it's going to be useful as a surfer later on though.

After catching Goldeen I continue through the rest of the cave. I caught a Sandshrew and a Zubat later, I wanted to get an Onix too but I ran out of Pokéballs. The theme is nice but in my opinion it only really fits the Ruins of Alph.

After getting out I beat the Hiker and get his number in case there's a horde later on.

F1i7vVr.png

Togepi hatched some time after getting out of the Union Cave, suppose I really walked that much in search of Onix.

Azalea Town

After that I'm greeted by Azalea Town's peaceful music, and I find a shady looking man in a familiar uniform guarding the entrance to the Slowpoke Well, doesn't fit with the music if you ask me.

vxSYe0A.png

Right, because Slowpoke are fearsome bringers of death.

I go to the Pokémon Center to heal my pokemon and store the Pokémon I caught at the Union Cave, I keep Togepi to take it later with Prof. Elm. Afterwards I head to the Mart to restock on Pokéballs...

B465GES.png

I guess Charcoal has taken Oil's title as "The Black Gold".

I go to pay I visit to Kurt only to have him bolt outside after Team Rocket, so I follow him, leaving his granddaughter.

I find him inside the well.

JkHsFwr.png

Ouch.

Since apparently he can't move it's my job to beat Team Rocket, with pleasure.

Team Rocket's theme is already really good in HGSS, it sounds even better in 8-Bit.

The grunts go down quickly, though I drag the battles longer on purpose to hear theme. After beating the last of them Kurt comes.

F6xeOrX.png

I guess your Spine must be really fexible if you somehow are not left paralyzed after that fall.

I go back to Kurt's house and I can actually challenge Bugsy now, though I'm going to Ilex Forest first in ordee to get free charcoal before the gym.

At the entrance Silver halts me and asks me about Team Rocket, apparently he's surprised at me winning (not like he's much tougher) and challenges me.

Qd3mSMI.png

I wish I could do the whole starter vs starter cliche but Quilava has no business fighting Water types without Thunder Punch.

After making a fool a out of himself he goes on a rant about the weak as usual, then leaves, I can now enter the forest.

zR1HMeV.png

I guess you hate youself then.

Ilex Forest

You know, I never thought of the Ilex Forest as some dark and scary place, I always imagined it as some peaceful place were bugs eat leaves, plus, the shrine is pretty cute, so I find the Ruins of Alph theme unfitting (again).

Anyways, I find the boy that lost the Farfetch'd and go after the bird. Drove it back to him in no time, now I got the Cut HM, nice. I head out of the Ilex Forest.

Azalea Town

I head for the Charcoal Kiln to get what I really wanted, free charcoal. Just like Vine Whip, Ember isn't the strongest move around so the power boost is appreciated. Now I head to Bugsy's hive.

The trainers are just an easy source of money, so Bugsy's turn arrives quickly.

r6wZrQg.png

The way the Pokéball matches the pots is one of my favorite details in the game.

Battle starts, Metapod goes down in one Ember as expected, it's Scyther's turn.

qX1o2fk.png

Poor thing never stood a chance but talk about overkill. I guess this counts as add even more injury to injury?

Kakuna goes down in one hit, just as it's counterpart.

FObt59E.png

Two now! I'm not sure which of those two was easier though.

I head to the Pokémon center afterwards and finish for today.

Current Crew:
    Quilava_oro.png
    (M) @ Charcoal
    Lv. 21
    - Quick Attack
    - Leer
    - Smokescreen
    - Ember

Bellsprout_oro.png
    (M) @ Miracle Seed
    Lv. 17
    - Vine Whip
    - Growth
    - Wrap
    - Sleep Powder

Togepi_oro.png
    (M)
    Lv. 5
    - Growl
    - Charm

Badge Case
    Medalla_Céfiro.png
    Medalla_Colmena.png

---

That's all for today! I'll probably stop using gifs as they come out messy and it'll also make it easier for people with less data. If you guys want me to Include Teddiursa I wouldn't mind including, though I already had some mons in mind I'm open to suggestions because I often have trouble deciding. Thanks for reading once again!

Back