• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Loading Save into Default Map

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm having a bizarre issue with a PokeCrystal hack I'm working on. Whenever I use the in-game saving function, close the ROM, reload, and chose to continue, I will always load into a specific location, directly in front of the Pokemon Center in the "first city" map. This is the first SPAWN constant beyond the initial SPAWN_HOME and SPAWN_DEBUG constants. This occurs even if I save the game immediately upon starting, without even leaving the initial Player Bedroom map.

The Player Data seems to be saving into/loading from sram fine, as the player name will remain unchanged, it's just the map location info that isn't loading properly. I'm assuming that there's some routine that loads a default spawn if no map data can be loaded, and I can't quite figure out where it might be. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm having a bizarre issue with a PokeCrystal hack I'm working on. Whenever I use the in-game saving function, close the ROM, reload, and chose to continue, I will always load into a specific location, directly in front of the Pokemon Center in the "first city" map. This is the first SPAWN constant beyond the initial SPAWN_HOME and SPAWN_DEBUG constants. This occurs even if I save the game immediately upon starting, without even leaving the initial Player Bedroom map.

The Player Data seems to be saving into/loading from sram fine, as the player name will remain unchanged, it's just the map location info that isn't loading properly. I'm assuming that there's some routine that loads a default spawn if no map data can be loaded, and I can't quite figure out where it might be. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Well, I feel silly, I just figured it out not an hour after making this post...

Leaving this here for anyone else who may have made the same mistake. When I replaced all of the vanilla PokeCrystal maps, I'd gone through and swapped out any of the old SPAWN constants for maps that no longer existed. In fixing the intromenu.asm file, I mistakenly assumed SPAWN_LANCE was one of the SPAWN constants I'd removed, and replaced it with SPAWN_HOME as a placeholder. Turns out that, despite the naming convention, SPAWN_LANCE is a wram constant, and I never removed it from the game. So if you're like me and are replacing all of the vanilla maps, leave the SPAWN_LANCE and SPAWN_RED constants alone.

Back