• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Starter Type combinations

What is the secondary starter type you'd like to see most?

• Normal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bug

• Ice

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Electric

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Rock

• Dragon

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Of all the starter Pokémon, more than half have a secondary type. Dual-type starters make a playthrough more interesting because not only is your starter more versatile, it also affects the way you construct your team according to your needs. Some dual-typings have appeared more often than others (*ahem*, Fire/Fighting) and some are more wanted than others. What is a secondary type you would like to see more often and what is your dream starter type combination?

Also, as of Sun and Moon there are only a handful of types that have not been a secondary starter type ever. I put these in a poll. Do elaborate your answer in a post!

Post-Off Thread Of The Day - August 8th

If you find one of your threads with the Thread of the Day prefix, it's worth 100 points rather than 50. If you replied to this thread on August 8th, you've earned 30 points rather than 10.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arjay

#GoStags
Years
Ice is my second favourite type after Flying so I'd love to see an Ice type starter, especially as Ice types are usually rare/unobtainable until late in most games when I've already got a core team and grinding to raise something new up to speed with the others is a slow, arduous process.

I remember when I first saw Piplup before Diamond and Pearl came out, I thought it was a guaranteed Water/Ice Pokémon, being a penguin and whatnot.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
Ice is my second favourite type after Flying so I'd love to see an Ice type starter, especially as Ice types are usually rare/unobtainable until late in most games when I've already got a core team and grinding to raise something new up to speed with the others is a slow, arduous process.

I agree with that: most Ice-types are available way too late in the game. I've actually never had an Ice-type in any of my teams unless I carefully planned out when and where I would catch it. A shame.

My second favourite type after Water is Electric so that's one type I'd love to represented in the starter trio sometime. A Water/Electric type would make me supper happy, given it has a good design.

Though Dragon is an option in the poll, I fully understand GameFreak not going for a part-Dragon starter, because Dragon types are usually overpowered. Having such a starter would make the game too easy I think.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2018
I voted Dragon because with the primary types, they're not combinations we see often. We have very few dual Fire/Dragon, Grass/Dragon and Water/Dragon. Game freak could balance it out by having more Ice and Fairy types in the early routes, or in the game in general. Dragons also usually have a lower Level Up rate, making it harder to keep up with the early Gyms....and new trainers/young trainers would have a harder time with the game.
I think the solution for this is to gain the Dragon Type in the second or last stage of evolution, instead of starting with it.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Soapy said everything I wanted to say about Dragons lol. Really hope to see Dragon starters/starter evos at some stage!

Years
I'd like to see more Dragons just for their sheer power and cool designs that they come along with. It would be nice to have them early game rather than late game. (and they do take a while to evolve.)

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years
I voted Dragon because with the primary types, they're not combinations we see often. We have very few dual Fire/Dragon, Grass/Dragon and Water/Dragon. Game freak could balance it out by having more Ice and Fairy types in the early routes, or in the game in general. Dragons also usually have a lower Level Up rate, making it harder to keep up with the early Gyms....and new trainers/young trainers would have a harder time with the game.
I think the solution for this is to gain the Dragon Type in the second or last stage of evolution, instead of starting with it.
Soapy said everything I wanted to say about Dragons lol. Really hope to see Dragon starters/starter evos at some stage!
I'd like to see more Dragons just for their sheer power and cool designs that they come along with. It would be nice to have them early game rather than late game. (and they do take a while to evolve.)
Well, technically speaking, there are two Dragon Type Final Stage Starter evos (Mega Charizard X & Mega Sceptile ;)).

What is a secondary type you would like to see more often and what is your dream starter type combination?
I'd want to see every Type combo that hasn't been done yet. I'm not sure why there isn't a Water/Ice type Starter yet. The Piplup line should really have had that combo.

Dream Starter Type combo, well Electric Types are my fav (should be obvious :P), so how about a Fire/Electric or Grass/Electric or Water/Electric Type.

Pika Pika :chu:

Back