• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Evolution/breeding gripes

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2018
    This came up to me, and it was something long ago in the past.

As with a lot of people, my introduction to Pokemon was from the anime, and from that, already you're going to have a bit of a disconnect from the games.

But I noticed later on that the anime actually did things the game only mentions without actually living up to their ideas stated in game.
    Which is honestly disappointing the games adopt such a cookie cutter model for ALL Pokemon, rather than making them all truly unique. What I mean by this is when they come up with weird breeding ideas for dex entries or evolution, yet it doesn't happen in game.

How awesome would it be if you actually had to get 3 Magnemites to evolve a Magneton? The dex makes it seem that's what's gotta happen, it's in the anime too, etc. But in the game, two others just appear.

Instead of trading Slowpoke with an item, wouldn't it be awesome if you could put Slowpoke with a Shellder in the daycare and get either Slowbro or Slowking? I actually remembered trying that in the original Silver because that's what the game implied and it happened in the anime.
    I remembered being so disappointed to find out Shellder played no actual part in anything.
    So why even make that up?

Or I'm sure a lot of people wondered about Cubone, with the whole thing of it wearing its mother's skull. In gen 1, that worked because you couldn't breed. You just found them, so you could infer every species of it had that story.

But in gen 2, you can just pop them out with zero repercussions. More than one two. One mother, multiple children... how does that work?

What are some similar problems you have, or have you ever even thought about these? And do you think they might ever change or be implemented?
    I think these contrary methods have been around so long, they probably won't change them now, but these kind of things would make the games more mysterious and memorable, I feel. To have to find out how to even *get* certain Pokemon, or that the same cookie cutter formula didn't work on literally every single one; even sometimes directly contradicting in-game canon.

Back